Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Leaf switches N9K-C93180YC-EX back-to-back without spine in between

albert_coll
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I should install an ACI fabric shortly, but my Spine switches order is delayed for some time.

So in the meantime, may i use 2 x N9K-C93180YC-EX border leafs, plus other two leaf switches of the same model meshed with 40Gbps interfaces to build an initial temporary ACI fabric with all of them while waiting for the spines?

Thanks in advance.

Albert.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Albert

This won't work you need some specific functions of the spines in order to build your ACI-fabric.

Regards

Marcel

View solution in original post

Nik Noltenius
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Albert,

I've not tried it so I don't know what exactly will happen but I'm almost 100 % sure that it'll be a waste of time. The ASICs are different for Leaf and Spine switches so you're 93180YC-EX cannot run as Spine switches. Also you shouldn't (mustn't?) connect leaf switches so even considering it being a Non-Spine architecture won't work.

If you don't have anything else to do and have the time, go for it, (I would be curious where and how the system would stop you) but other than for educational purposes there is no point in even trying.

Regards,

Nik

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Albert

This won't work you need some specific functions of the spines in order to build your ACI-fabric.

Regards

Marcel

Nik Noltenius
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Albert,

I've not tried it so I don't know what exactly will happen but I'm almost 100 % sure that it'll be a waste of time. The ASICs are different for Leaf and Spine switches so you're 93180YC-EX cannot run as Spine switches. Also you shouldn't (mustn't?) connect leaf switches so even considering it being a Non-Spine architecture won't work.

If you don't have anything else to do and have the time, go for it, (I would be curious where and how the system would stop you) but other than for educational purposes there is no point in even trying.

Regards,

Nik

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License