Views
Helpful
Replies

VMM Intergration - Multiple DVS ?

swapnendum
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

Our VMware Infra is divided into multiple clusters within single VMware Datacenter. We plan to use one DVS per Cluster, which means multiple DVS under on datacenter.

When VMM integration is done between vCenter and APIC -

Q1) do we have to add the same vCenter as a VMM domain for each DVS ? I dont see any option to add multiple DVS under one domain.

Q2) when multiple domains are added for the same vCenter, same set of ESXi hypervisors (under VMware datacenter) are visible under different VMM domains on ACI. Will there be an issue in applying Portgroups and programming vlans ?

What's the right way to implement multiple DVS under one VMware datacenter ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, Thanks for using SupportForums

Q1)Use the same vCenter IP and Datacenter name for all VMM domains. 

Q2)There will not be an issue. just make sure you add the correct hosts in a particular cluster to the appropriate DVS that was created by the APIC

You are on the right track for implementing multiple DVS under one Datacenter!

What other questions do you have?

View solution in original post

cutran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Not sure if you have what you needed but for customers we have seen deploying multiple DVS within the same vCenter server/Data Center, you "should" create 2 separate VMM Domain.  Create one for Cluster1 and another VMM Domain for Cluster2. 

If possible in your vCenter Server, just create a new Data Center (DC2), then move the servers in cluster2 over to this new DC.  Then the configuration of ACI VMM Domain is "cleaner" and more defined...leaves little room for user errors on adding hosts to the wrong DVS.  But it does work with having 2 VMM Domain going to the same vCenter/DataCenter.  Just have to be mindful.  What dpita stated below is correct.  I've added the following with more details in case you find it useful.

I would suggest the following:

VMM Domain1:

vCenter Controller Name:  MyVMM-cluster1

vCenter Server: vCenter1

Data Center: My-DC

Credentials: root or administrator credentials

VMM Domain2:

vCenter Controller Name:  MyVMM-cluster2

Then you add the hosts on the particular cluster to the appropriate VMM Domain.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, Thanks for using SupportForums

Q1)Use the same vCenter IP and Datacenter name for all VMM domains. 

Q2)There will not be an issue. just make sure you add the correct hosts in a particular cluster to the appropriate DVS that was created by the APIC

You are on the right track for implementing multiple DVS under one Datacenter!

What other questions do you have?

Hi,

I have implemented multiple VMware domains on an APIC similarly to above, and each domain is a different DVS with a different group of EPGs. These map to different tiers in a 3 tier architecture. Each EPG is effectively a VLAN mapping. 

Hosts on the same EPG in different domains can ping each other and unicast works fine but multicast seems to have a problem. I am running VMware VSAN on a shared EPG, which uses multicast, and that seems to work except for the multicast performance test in vSphere fails every time. It works within one of the VMM domains, but not to hosts in the other VMM domain. Both VMM domains are in the EPG.

I have tried adding an IGMP querier to the bridge domain under the tenant - no joy. The vlan on the DVS/VMM domain is different to the VLAN in the bridge domain. There does not seem to be anywhere to add an IGMP querier to the VMM domain in the EPG.

What am I missing? 

Thanks in advance..

cutran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Not sure if you have what you needed but for customers we have seen deploying multiple DVS within the same vCenter server/Data Center, you "should" create 2 separate VMM Domain.  Create one for Cluster1 and another VMM Domain for Cluster2. 

If possible in your vCenter Server, just create a new Data Center (DC2), then move the servers in cluster2 over to this new DC.  Then the configuration of ACI VMM Domain is "cleaner" and more defined...leaves little room for user errors on adding hosts to the wrong DVS.  But it does work with having 2 VMM Domain going to the same vCenter/DataCenter.  Just have to be mindful.  What dpita stated below is correct.  I've added the following with more details in case you find it useful.

I would suggest the following:

VMM Domain1:

vCenter Controller Name:  MyVMM-cluster1

VMM Domain2:

vCenter Controller Name:  MyVMM-cluster2

Then you add the hosts on the particular cluster to the appropriate VMM Domain.  Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License