cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC not deploying as vPC

aswokei
Level 1
Level 1

I believe I have the vPC configured as it should be, I believe. 

I have the vPC interface policy group configured.  I applied it to the interface profile.  I applied that interface profile to the switch profile. However, under inventory, the vPC shows up as a single port channel.  

apic1# show port-channel leaf 101

Legends:

N/D : Not Deployed

PC: Port Channel

VPC: Virtual Port Channel

Port-Channel Name  Type  Leaf ID, Name                     Fex Id  Port Channel

Ports

------------       ----  --------------------------------  ------  ------------

-  --------------------------------

101-102vPC_polGrp  VPC   101,Leaf1                                 po6

eth1/45-46

apic1# show port-channel leaf 102

Legends:

N/D : Not Deployed

PC: Port Channel

VPC: Virtual Port Channel

Port-Channel Name  Type  Leaf ID, Name                     Fex Id  Port Channel

Ports

------------       ----  --------------------------------  ------  ------------

-  --------------------------------

101-102vPC_polGrp  VPC   102,Leaf2                                 po5

eth1/45-46

Eth1/45 -- suspnd trunk full inherit 10Gbase-SR
Eth1/46 -- suspnd trunk full inherit 10Gbase-SR

It also shows the member ports as being suspended.  So it looks like it's not properly registered as a vPC.  Any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

gmonroy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

aswokei,

I'm not sure what you mean by it showing up as a single port channel, but technically each individual leaf will only have a single port channel but with a shared the VPC ID. From the looks of your output, it is indeed recognizing that each leaf sees that individual port channel as part of a VPC.

For the ports coming up as suspended, you will need to take a look at your LACP settings on both the ACI side and the Peer device side. Some clarifying questions that may help you do so:

1. What is your port-channel policy set to on the VPC Policy group? (lacp-active, passive, etc)

2. What are the peer devices settings when it comes to lacp? (is it some switch/end host, what is it's bond mode/lacp settings)

3. Assuming both are set to actively participate in LACP, we can then verify that LACPDUs are actively being sent and received by running this command on each leaf switch:

show lacp counters interface port-channel 6  (or 5, depending on which leaf you run the command on).

-Gabriel

Nik Noltenius
Spotlight
Spotlight

Did you create a protection group under Fabric > Access Policies > Switch Policies > Policies > Virtual Port Channel default?

You have to specify both leaf-switches and a logical pair ID which is the domain ID of the vPC. 

Run "show vpc" directly on the leaf-switches to see if your port-channels are vPCs.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License