Views
Helpful
Replies

What is Tenant in ACI Technology?

williammanurung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I want deep about Tenant in ACI, but I have some question.

1) is Tenant same thing as VDC in nexus technology?

2)Can I implement one segmen network IP ini two tenants? is it overlapping or not?

3)Can I configure same access vlan ini two tenants?

I confused what tenant it is, it's just virtual context in ACI Technology?

Thanks.

William

4 Replies 4

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi William,

Allow me to answer your queries:

1) is Tenant same thing as VDC in nexus technology?

No. Definitely not. In NXOS, the VDC is a data plane + control plane virtualization protocol, meaning that in each VDC, there are different processes for each service/protocol.  In ACI, the Tenant is just an object model which wraps all objects belonging to the specific tenant/organization/department (VRF, EPG, BDs, Subnets, L3Outs, contracts etc). They can provide different management protocol on APIC level, but on switch side, they are all under same context. 

2)Can I implement one segmen network IP ini two tenants? is it overlapping or not?

yes, you can have same subnet network under two different tenants. You can even name the VRF the same in two different tenants. Example: Tenant-A, VRF-1 and Tenant-B, VRF-1. On the switch, the VRF name will actually be: Tenant-A:VRF-1 and Tenant-B:VRF-1

3)Can I configure same access vlan ini two tenants?

Yes, you can use same access (encap) vlan, for two EPGs in different tenants, but on different switches. This is with default settings. if you want to use the same vlan on same switch, different ports, for 2 EPGs in different tenants, then you need to enable "per port VLAN" feature. More details about this feature here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/2-x/L2_config/b_Cisco_APIC_Layer_2_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_APIC_Layer_2_Configuration_Guide_chapter_011.html#concept_BC396E1CBB7D4687A9CBBECDDD43DE11 

Hope it helps,

Sergiu

Hi @Sergiu.Daniluk Sergiu,

Thanks for answer, more question:

1)if we have two tenant in ACI that's still one dataplane+control plane,right?

2)Let's say we have two tenants are Tenant-A and Tenant-B, in Tenant-A we configure BD 10.1.1.1/24 and in Tenant-B we configure BD 10.1.1.1/24.Then, I configure common:VRF. The two tenant consume that common:VRF. What will be happen? it will be overlapping network, right?

Thank you.

Hello,

1)if we have two tenant in ACI that's still one dataplane+control plane,right?

Control plane is the same. On the data plane there is logical virtualization through the usage of different VRFs - so there is a separation at data plane level. By having 2 tenants, you also achieve a logical separation on management plane.

2)Let's say we have two tenants are Tenant-A and Tenant-B, in Tenant-A we configure BD 10.1.1.1/24 and in Tenant-B we configure BD 10.1.1.1/24.Then, I configure common:VRF. The two tenant consume that common:VRF. What will be happen? it will be overlapping network, right?

This is not possible. Most likely you will be prompted with an error, since there will be overlapping subnets.

Cheers,

Sergiu

HI @Sergiu.Daniluk ,

Can you give me example management plane it is?

Best Regards,

William

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License