cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the best way to label interfaces on a leaf in ACI?

Curtis Parish
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for the simplest and best way to label the interfaces in ACI so we know what is supposed to be plugged into it.      If I remember correctly, originally the only way to put an alias on an interface was through the CLI.  Is that still the case?   Suggestions?  

2 Replies 2

jmakepeac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Curtis

You can do it in the APIC GUI; deep down in the port selector interface blocks;

Fabric-Access Policies-Interface Policies-Profiles-Leaf Profiles-LeafInterfaceProfile-AccessPortSelector-AccessPortBlock-“INTERFACE DESCRIPTION”.

However, under Fabric-Inventory-Pod-Leaf-Interfaces-Physical Interfaces there looks like there's the possibility of setting description....but in 2.2(2j) atleast it throws an error.

I think it’s well worth setting though. It’s not only visible in the CLI, show int etc, but it also pops up in various places in the APIC GUI.

John

Yes, the description on the Access Port Selector is where you set descriptions. This then gets configured on the switch interfaces the same as descriptions on ports in NX-OS mode.

I would also make one Access Port Selector for every port on the leaf and set the description for each of them. Be sure to use names that will sort properly in the GUI as well. For example, don't use Eth1_1 Eth1_2, instead use Eth1_01, Eth1_02. This way the ports will all be labelled and you have maximum flexibility in changing how you use your ports in the future without having to delete port selectors that describe ranges of ports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License