Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10GE Copper Nexus 5k

Hi all.

Short question: which SFP do we need on our Cisco Nexus 5k to connect a 10Gigabit Ethernet Server, if this is going to be connected with a CAT7/RJ-45 UTP cable?  

We have many SFPs that work with fiber on our Nexus N5K-C5596UP, but we've never connected anything with copper, let alone that supports 10G. Somebody told us that it was supported, but checking Cisco documentation we only see twinax cables, nothing else.

I Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I don't think there is an SFP+ 10GBASE-T transceiver available for the Nexus 5K.

If you look at the Cisco 10GBASE SFP Modules Data Sheet there is no such SFP+ transceiver listed.

A search on CCO for 10GBASE-T transceivers only finds the X2-10GB-T transceiver listed in the Cisco 10GBASE X2 Modules Data Sheet which is of no use to you.

There is a 12-port 10GBASE-T expansion module (PID N55-M12T), which is perhaps overkill for your needs, but also that's only supported in the Nexus 5596T chassis according to the Cisco Nexus 5548P, 5548UP, 5596UP, and 5596T Switches Data Sheet. I'm not sure why that would be the case given the 596UP and 5596T are based on the same ASIC etc. Perhaps a question to your Cisco sales rep.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I don't think there is an SFP+ 10GBASE-T transceiver available for the Nexus 5K.

If you look at the Cisco 10GBASE SFP Modules Data Sheet there is no such SFP+ transceiver listed.

A search on CCO for 10GBASE-T transceivers only finds the X2-10GB-T transceiver listed in the Cisco 10GBASE X2 Modules Data Sheet which is of no use to you.

There is a 12-port 10GBASE-T expansion module (PID N55-M12T), which is perhaps overkill for your needs, but also that's only supported in the Nexus 5596T chassis according to the Cisco Nexus 5548P, 5548UP, 5596UP, and 5596T Switches Data Sheet. I'm not sure why that would be the case given the 596UP and 5596T are based on the same ASIC etc. Perhaps a question to your Cisco sales rep.

Regards