cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE 4710 SNMP false linkup/down trap notification?

s.aluko
Level 1
Level 1

We have two ACE4710 in a failover configuration with Software version A4(2.0). SNMP is setup and the receiver is able to receive SNMP traps.

The issue is we are receiving a linkDown trap notification at least once every other day, followed shortly by a linkUp notification a minute later. We have checked all layer 2 devices connected to the ACE and cannot see any evidence that any link actually disconnected. We experienced no traffic lost, but this could be because a couple of the ACE links are bundled. The trap notification does not actually indicate which interface changed status. All links are Gigabits, and there are no packet drops either on the ACE or the layer 2 switch. What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

mwinnett
Level 3
Level 3

Samson, I checked and I don't see any obvious known defect. Your s/w version is quite old, it is the first A4 release (same s/w traing for ace module and appliance). I would recommend to upgrade to A5.2.2 (no more fixes in A4) which will be released in March 2013. Can you send the exact trap output and I wil check and see if it matches a known issue. Matthew

Hi Matthew, apologies for the late reply, and thanks for getting back to me. Please find below the output on our SNMP receiver today. As you will see from the log timestamp the linkdown and linkup occurred within a minute which is typical. We get this issue at least once every other day!

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Link

Host: ldmzbmh001

Address: x.x.x.x

State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Thu Feb 21 11:18:35 GMT 2013

Additional Info:

A linkDown trap signifies that the SNMP entity, acting in 16777312 up down

Notification Type: PROBLEM

State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Thu Feb 21 11:18:35 GMT 2013

Additional Info:

A linkDown trap signifies that the SNMP entity, acting in 65540 up down

Notification Type: RECOVERY

State: OK

Date/Time: Thu Feb 21 11:19:05 GMT 2013

Additional Info:

A linkUp trap signifies that the SNMP entity, acting in an 16777312 up up

Regards,

Sam

Samson, sorry, nothing obvious. S/w version A5.2.2 will be in CCO in the next few days if you want to try that. Otherwise, I thnk that it would be best to open a TAC case to take a look. Matthew

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: