cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't telnet/Putty to wae device

Dan Loring
Level 1
Level 1

Yesterday I was able to connect and today it is timing out.  It is showing online in the CM.  I am able to https to the manager, and ping the IP??  What would be the easiest least disruptive way to kick start that port???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Smita for jumping in.

Hi Dan,

It looks like those settings might be coming from AllDevicesGroup or any other Group. Can you take this device out of the Group and then verify to see if you can change those settings?

On the Console settings page, you can find out which group your device belongs to from the line that reads something like below:

Current settings: Applied settings from AllDevicesGroup.

Please remove the device from the group by going to My WAN --> Manage Devices Groups --> Edit Group --> Assigned devices --> uncheck the red check box to unassign fro mthe group. Hit submit and the devie will come out of the group, Now if you go back to the unit consoel config page, you will see that the check boxes are not greyed out and are selectable.

If you can, please click on Apply Defaults tab on this page. I beleive this should restore the default - telnet login.

Regards.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Dan Loring
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe a better question would be what is the easiest way to reboot the device?

Hi Dan,

Most of the time this kind of issue is related Putty / hyper terminal settings. However if you can not telnet / ssh to the device, you can reload the device from CM GUI.

If you login to CM GUI and then go to My WAN --> manage Devices --> Edit selected device.

On the Dashboard of that device, you will see RELOAD tab right below the graphs. Please click on reload and it will reload the device, assuming that CM is still connected to WAE.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

I'm able to Putty to all the other devices, except this one.  So I went in and stopped the blade, and pressed the reload button.  I saw the ping on the device drop and come back.  I am able to see it in CM, and I am able to connect to the https manger gui, and RDP to the blade, but I still cannot connect to it via telnet/putty.  Is there any way to enable/disable this in the CM?

Hi Dan,

Try clicking on telnet from WAE GUI. This option is on the same page where you had reload in previous step.

One more thing to try : Go to My WAN --> Edit device --> Troubleshoot --> CLI commands --> Show commands --> select running-config and click on submit. This will open a new window with running config. Verify in the config that telnet is enabled (if you do not see any "telnet" word in the sh run, it means it is enabled.

Regards.

Ok, so I went to the device through the CM, Edit Device, Troubleshoot, CLI commands, sh running config and saw this in the config...

no telnet enable

no sshd version 1

Is there any way to edit the config through here?

Ok this means that sshd and telnet is disabled but ssh2 is enabled.

so please use putty and select ssh session to login to wae.  looks like telnet and sshv1 access is disabled, may be due to security risks.

Regards.

That is what I have been doing(Putty, SSh, port 22), so it seems that some thing else is going on.  It is now not able to communicate with its NTP server.  Either the hardware is failing or it needs a hard boot.  Anyway to reboot it remotely, I tried the reload, but after that it lost the synchronization with the NTP server.

Hi Dan,

Just make sure you are using ssh version 2 as ssh version 1 is disabled on waas.

Further, if you think there might be hardware issue, can you post output of "sh alarm history detail" here? we might get some insight from the alarm history.

Thanks.

I know for a fact that I am using SSH v2, because I can connect to every other device threw putty and I was able to putty to this device yesterday and I verified the other devices configs did not read no SSHD version 2 .  The only way I would know how to do a "sh alarm history detail", would be through a CLI session.  I am new to these management GUI devices.  Is there a way to do this through the CM? Unfortunately I cannot Console into this device since it is a remote location.

Thanks,

Dan

Just to add to what Bhavin said,you can also enable Telnet/SSH access to the device from the CM,since you can

access the device from CM

On CM---Manage Device---Click on the Device---Configure---Network---Console Access

You should be able to enabled Telnet or SSH and hit submit

Regards

-Smita

ok, yes I can see that ssh v2 is checked off, and that telnet is not checked, unfortunately it will not let me check it off it is greyed out.  Any other thoughts, other than having some one go in the closet and power cycle it???  I can connect to it through the https gui manager, but that is pretty limited.

Are you able to click Apply Defaults on the Telnet Section and submit and check if Telnet is enabled and if you can connect to the wae?

Regards

-Smita

Thanks Smita for jumping in.

Hi Dan,

It looks like those settings might be coming from AllDevicesGroup or any other Group. Can you take this device out of the Group and then verify to see if you can change those settings?

On the Console settings page, you can find out which group your device belongs to from the line that reads something like below:

Current settings: Applied settings from AllDevicesGroup.

Please remove the device from the group by going to My WAN --> Manage Devices Groups --> Edit Group --> Assigned devices --> uncheck the red check box to unassign fro mthe group. Hit submit and the devie will come out of the group, Now if you go back to the unit consoel config page, you will see that the check boxes are not greyed out and are selectable.

If you can, please click on Apply Defaults tab on this page. I beleive this should restore the default - telnet login.

Regards.

Great, by selecting apply defaults, that allowed me to telnet, and SSH.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: