Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Hostname in CSS11500 Series

mpc_netsupport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone tell me how to change hostname in CSS11500 Series. I cannot find any documentation for that matter.

Is there any impact in the system to change the hostname?

Regards,

Andi

3 Replies 3

jecahuao
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andi, do you mean the prompt? In the CSS terminology that's the equivalent name of the hostname of CISCO's routers/switches.

If you want to change the prompt of a CSS device you should use the command and save the profile to keep the configuration after reload.

Example, the CSS's hostname (prompt) is "CSS11503-a" I will change it to "hostname":

CSS11503-a# sh profile

@prompt CSS11503-a

CSS11503-a# prompt hostname

hostname# sh profile

@prompt hostname

hostname# save_profile

hostname# sh profile

@prompt hostname

Cheers,

Jesus

Hi jecahuao,

Thanks for your answer.I have another question, is there any impact for the system if if I change the prompt?

I also found article in internet that if I change the prompt with my username, other people with other username will see the default prompt when he login CSS11500. Is it true? I haven't tried it yet since i'm afraid the change will have impact in the system.

Do you have link i  cisco.com that explain about changing prompt?

Regards,

Andi

Hi Andy, there is no direct impact in the data plane of the CSS if you change the prompt.

The prompt is a variable associated with the user profile, something like the bash shell in a linux system. Every user configured in the CSS will have its own profile, therefore if you change the prompt of your profile, that change will not affect the prompt of the other users.

This is the link from CCO about "Changing the CLI Prompt", also you can find the description about the user profiles:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11500series/v8.10/configuration/administration/guide/Profiles.html#wp1015682

Jesus Cahuao