cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACE 4710 - Active/Passive Failover

networker99
Level 1
Level 1

We have an ACE 4710 that has two web servers in an active/passive scenario.  The issue is that if node 1 fails and node 2 takes over connections to node 2 stay active even if node 1 becomes available again.  Is there are way to ensure that node one is not placed back into service if it becomes available again.

Also can someone verify how active/passive failover shoudl be configured, so I can make sure I have it set up correctly;

5 Replies 5

Cesar Roque
Level 4
Level 4

HI,

This is an expected behavior,

1. If yourserver1 fails then only yourserver2 becomes active and handles
all connections. 2. When yourserver1 comes back, ACE will automatically  send all "New connections" to Yourserver1. Existing connections will still be served by "YourServer2". 3. With period of time all existing connection will end on yourserver2 and Yourserver1 will be serving all connections

The configuration should look like this:

serverfarm host sample

rserver test1

backup-rserver test2

inservice

rserver test2

inservice-standby

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team

--------------------- Cesar R ANS Team

So is there no way to ensure that the primary node not be automatically re-introduced back into the farm should it become available again?

Hi,

When the primary rserver comes back online it will start taking new connections right away.   But clients connected to the sorryserver will continue there until they finish their job.

There is no way to change this behavior

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team

I could use the purge setting no?

Hi,

That command is not going to change the behavior when the primary server comes back online.

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team