cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM - Can it act like a DHCP Relay Agent

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

One of my customers wants to know if the CSM in a CAT6500 can be configured to forward DHCP requests from a client VLAN to a Server VLAN by configuring DHCP Relay Agent on the CSM or is this not possible. I cannot see any command for the CSM to enable DHCP relay Agent. If I remember right one could do this with the CSS11xxx.

7 Replies 7

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

on the CSM, if you need this kind of functionality, you need to configure bridge mode between the server vlan and another vlan that only exist between MSFC and CSM and then let the MSFC do the DHCP relay agent forwarding.

Regards,

Gilles.

Gilles,

Is there a link where more information regarding this can be found, so that I can read up on how to do this?

1. When you say bridge mode, do you mean configure this on CSM.

2. When the MSFC relays the DHCP request should it relay to the CSM's IP address or to the actual DHCP Server's IP Address.

Thanks

There is no specific example for your case, but you can use the following link to understand CSM bridge mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_configuration_example09186a00800946e0.shtml

The advantage of this solution is that the servers can now make use of the MSFC and still go through the CSM.

The MSFC is able to do dhcp relay and you will use it to relay the dhcp request to the server [not the CSM].

I hope this helps.

If so, please rate my answers.

Thanks,

Gilles.

My customer wants to know whether DHCP-RELAY agent functionality will be supported in the future software release of CSM. This feature is supoported on CSS at present.

Thanks for any response.

Mohan Kulhalli

Mohan,

the CSM won't support this feature, because you can achieve this functionality by using MSFC and CSM bridge mode.

There is no need to have this function on the CSM itself.

Regards,

Gilles.

Gilles,

Thanks for the reply. Customer said that he doesn't want to move to Bridge mode and I am not sure of his exact reasoning for this. His question is whether this will be supported in a future release of CSM code in router mode. The reason for the question is because the CSS does it.

Thanks

Alphonse

The CSS does it because it does not come with an MSFC.

The CSM does come with an MSFC which is capable of doing the dhcp relay agent function.

This functionality is not on our roadmap for the CSM.

Regards,

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: