Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM problem

Hi All,

I have a problem with CSM modul.  After upgrade to version 4.2.14 and reload, the module did not power up.

We did RMA, and upgrade to version 4.2.14. When we inserted the module in 6500, it worked for almost 3 hours.

After that time, the switch started to reload the CSM module, and later it put it in power down state.

%C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 5 set off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)

We than tried to reinsert the module in next free slot (slot 6). After power-up we got following messages:

Port-channel262 and GigabitEthernet6/1 have different trust states

Port-channel262 and GigabitEthernet6/2 have different trust states

Port-channel262 and GigabitEthernet6/3 have different trust states

Port-channel262 and GigabitEthernet6/4 have different trust states

Port-channel is in admin down state.

Here are the logs from 6500:

Oct 10 13:54:22.440 CET-SUM: %DIAG-SP-6-RUN_MINIMUM: Module 6: Running Minimal Diagnostics...

Oct 10 13:54:23.998 CET-SUM: %MLS_RATE-4-DISABLING: The Layer2 Rate Limiters have been disabled.

Oct 10 13:54:23.623 CET-SUM: %DIAG-SP-6-DIAG_OK: Module 6: Passed Online Diagnostics

Oct 10 13:54:25.886 CET-SUM: %SVCLC-5-FWTRUNK: Firewalled VLANs configured on trunks

Oct 10 13:54:26.738 CET-SUM: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 6, interfaces are now online

Oct 10 13:55:27.058 CET-SUM: %CSM_SLB-6-INFO: Module 6 info: config reload completed successfully.

If someone knows why this is happening I will appriciate the answer.

Regards,

Vladimir

7 Replies 7

chrhiggi
Level 3
Level 3

Vladimir-

Sounds like the code version on your 6k isn't playing nice with the CSM code version.  Can you send me a show mod?

The actual error has to do with "mls trust X" being applied only on one side of a portchannel.  There is actually a bug filed on this for the switch code, but the version is relatively old.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Christopher,

We have SUP720 with 12.2(18)SXF7 IOS.

Regards,

Vladimir

Vladimir-

It would appear that the bug you are hitting is internal. Can you get a TAC case open so they can release the bug ID to you?

It appears it is fixed in a version of 12.2(33)SXJ code.

Regards,

Chris Higgins

Christopher,

I have another question. Since the upgrade did not solve the problem, I am planning to do downgrade to version 4.2.7.

On that version everithing worked fine. Do You think that this Bug will do the same problem as on version 4.2.14?

Regards,

Vladimir

Vladimir-

There is no way to tell, but I would suspect it would work correctly.

Regards,

Chris

Christopher,

The CSM with version 4.2.7 is in 6500, and 6500 does not complain.

We have 2 CSM modules. One currently active with version 4.2.14 (upgrade went well) and the one we just bring back with version 4.2.7.

On 6500 where 4.2.7 is, we removed all CSM configuration. Since we changed slots.

Now we have to bring beck the configuration and FT.

Can You tell will the config sync work with different version of CSM software.

Is it enough just to configure FT vlan and run

hw-module csm slot-number standby config-sync

on active CSM.

Or we have to configure everything on 4.2.7, and downgrade the 4.2.14?

Best regards,

Vladimir

Vladimir-

FT will work between those versions, but it is not advised to do so since we generally test code with both CSMs are always running the same versions.  Same goes for config sync, as well, it is a manual process only. 

Regards,

Chris