Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS 11150 Booting Problem

zahid.hassan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

After a power outage, one of our CSS is failing to boot up properly. Every time its rebooted, it goes straight to the OFFDM although the Primary boot device has been selected to be Disk. I have formatted the

Disk and loaded a new image, it booted with the new image once and its

Loading to OFFDM every time its rebooted.

I would be really grateful if someone could shed some light on this problem.

Regards,

Zahid

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

You could check the boot.log for error messages inorder to find out what the problem could be.

Here's the link to Troubleshooting the Boot Process:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps792/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00800df9dc.html#xtocid1

Hope this is of some help to you.

For details refer:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/webscale/css/css_500/getstart/trouble.htm#xtocid4

pknoops
Level 3
Level 3

Zahid,

It really comes down to 2 things.

1. Can you confirm through the OFFDM that the Mgt port has an ip address AND a subnet mask assigned to it. The CSS will not complete the boot process if it has an ip address and no subnet mask.

2. If 1 is ok, then I would have to assume the boot sector on the drive is having problems and the CSS is unable to load the image properly thus putting itself into the OffDM

Let me know what happens

Regards

Pete Knoops

Cisco Systems

Pete,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have entered an IP address and subnet mask for the Mgt. port and the CSS

came up without a problem. After adding few configuration lines, I rebooted

the box it came up without a problem and everything seems to be working fine.

After a few days, I logged on to the box and found that I cannot type in any commands.

Its up and running but It would not take any command or go to the config mode.

I will be really grateful for any further input relating to this problem.

Regards,

Zahid

Zahid,

OK, so it sounds like the console port is not working properly or maybe it's frozen. The next thing to check is telnet access ? If you can't telnet or access the console, the last thing would be the mgt port via a crossover cable to your PC. If you have no console, telnet, or mgt port access, the last resort is rebooting the CSS during some down time if this box is in a production environment.

After booting the box, should you still have no console, I would recommend opening a TAC case and having the box replaced.

Regards

Pete Knoops

Cisco Systems

Just a simple thought.....

we had problems with our 2 CSS's early on and there is a known problem with the Flash disks on certain models with a certain revision number and Cisco have a field notice out on CCO about this. We had our FD's changed for HD's as one of them was doing this exact same thing you discribe

We also found if you ran the disk checker and fixed the errors and booted the CSS it worked until it was rebooted again then the same thing happened again.

Don't know whether that helps or not

Simon