cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS11503 in one armed trunk mode?

jcmattos1
Level 1
Level 1

Our company was concerned about bandwidth issues on our 100M int on the CSS v8.10. Currently we have the client vlan on a 1G vlan690 and server vlans on 100M. We are noticing high output drops on all the 6500 100M connected int to the CSS. We were planning on trunking all the vlans on the 1G and also upgrading the failover link from 100M to 1G (box2box red). I would like to know if this new config will work and is this redesign recommended for scalability purposes. I have the new configs attached. Thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would define a priority on the master of 150 and a priority of 100 on the standby.

Also, you may want to configure preempt.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

personally I would chose vip/interface redundancy instead of box2box.

The reason is that you will avoid the need of a dedicated link between the 2 CSS, so you can reuse the 2nd gig link to connect to the server vlan.

The 2nd reason for using the other redundancy mode is the faster failover.

With box2box, it takes from 30 sec to a couple of minutes to failover, while with vip/interface redundancy it takes just a few seconds.

Box 2 box is only a good option if you do firewall loadbalancing.

Gilles.

Thx Giles, Understood sounds like a good failover option. One concern though, we have an SCA2 module in slot 3 on both CSS's does this change our failover if say the SCA2 module in slot 3 fails how will this affect vip/interface redundancy option vs box2box?

First, the ssl module that you put in a CSS slot is not an SCA but a CSS5-SSL module or simply an SSL module - just to avoid confusion.

If a module fails while the CSS is up and running, the box should force a reload which will result in the other CSS taking over mastership.

So, the recommended solution to use vip/interface redundancy is still valid.

Gilles.

Thx for the clarification Giles, I created some new vip/redundancy configs. If you wouldn't mind looking it over to see if I didn't miss anything, I would greatly appreciate it...Thx again!

I would define a priority on the master of 150 and a priority of 100 on the standby.

Also, you may want to configure preempt.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Gilles.

Perfect, one last question Giles. How does this new vip/redundancy affect my config sync command? I was reading that you have to create seperate app session interfaces in order to execute the config sync command is this true?

Thx again,

JC

I believe you already had APP configured, even with box2box redundancy.

The APP protocol is what we use to pass data between the CSS.

So, you have to create app using any ip belonging to the CSS.

There is then a commandto copy the config from master to backup.

The command is : commit_VipRedundConfig.

This is explained at :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps792/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801186ec.html#1020441

Regards,

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: