Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancer throughputs

rajeshrajan1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you please let eme know how to calculate ACE module throughput?

Should I calculate it based on the port that the server is connecting with? Example:If the server is connecting with 1G interface, I require 1Gbps throughput? If so, what do I do when we have 10G server connectivity?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When talking about the ACE throughput, it is important to remember that it includes both the traffic from the client towards the ACE and the traffic from the ACE to the real server, so, when trying to calculate the license needed, you would need to multiply the throughput on the server by 2.

The important value is not the speed of the interface used by the server, but rather, the throughput it can sustain and the amount of traffic it can expect. If for example you are expecting a maximum of 100Mbps on the server, then it would make a difference whether it's connected with a 1Gbps interface or a 10Gbps one. In this example, the traffic that the ACE would see would be 200Mbps.

I hope this makes things a bit more clear

Daniel

Hi,

I am tring to design a data center with 10G server connectivity. How do I plan for the application load balancing?

Thanks,

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

As I said, you don't really care about the interface type that you are using, but rather the amount of traffic you are expecting. Are you really expecting 10Gbps of traffic on that server? If that is the case, then I'm afraid the ACE would not be enough for your needs.

Anyway, what I would recommend is having a chat with your account team. They can asses the requirements for your particular needs and advice you on the recommended hardware and configuration.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any specific sizing sheet that I can use?

Thanks!

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

I'm afraid there isn't any sizing sheet available for download. Instead, as I mentioned, I would recommend you to contact your account team to get sizing recommendations for your particular needs.

Regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Sure, I will get in touch with them. I also would need to plan for the firewall throughput considering that the FWSM has only 5Gbps....

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card