Views
Helpful
Replies

loadbalncer - Sticky time out question

sh_eid2000
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

what's the differance between sticky-inact-timout and timeout?

assume we have the following setting:

sticky ip-netmask 255.255.255.255 address source STICK-G1

timeout 30

does the timeout mean if there is no requests from one session for 30 min " inactive session", then the sticky entry will expire?

if not, should we add an entry to sticky-inact-timout  or what?

please help

Regards,

SE

5 Replies 5

Ivan Kovacevic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The config you copy/pasted is from ACE load-balancer. Inactivity timer on ACE specifies the period of time that the ACE keeps (if possible) the IP address sticky information for a client connection in the sticky table after the latest client connection terminates. The ACE resets the sticky timer for a specific sticky-table entry each time that the module opens a new connection.

The sticky-inact-timeout commands is from CSS load-balancer (from a different platform). There it has slightly different effect. By default, new sticky connection uses the oldest used sticky entry. A sticky association could exist for a time depending on the sticky traffic load on the CSS. Use the sticky-inact-timeout command to specify the inactivity timeout period on a sticky connection for a content rule before the CSS removes the sticky entry from the sticky table. When you configure this period, the CSS keeps the sticky entry in the sticky table for the specified amount of time.

Dear Ivan,

Thanks for your reply,

but I'm still have a confusion , assume we have one user is working on the system " server1" after that this user become inactive for 40 mins.

what will happen to the stuck entry as per the pervious configuration?

I simulated this situation and I found the user session will continue on the same server" server1".

user A  -- conected to server 1     " become inactive  for 40 min"  then back to his pc the user will continue on that server1.

user B -- connected to server 2   " left his desk for 1 hr" then he back to his desk and the session will continue on server 2

I hope you get what i mean.

Regards,

SE

First of all which load-balancer do you have and which sw version is it running?

Assuming it is ACE, the sticky entry will be in the database 30 mins after the last connection matching that entry is terminated. Therefore you also have to take in account the TCP timeout (default is one hour). To specify that the ACE time out IP address sticky table entries even if active connections exist after the sticky timer expires, use the timeout activeconns command in sticky-IP configuration mode.

Dear Ivan,

We have ACE20 MOD K9 load balancer  & the timeout activeconns i think is active as per the following example.

Example)     Assume I loged in to the EP system from my PC "IP is : 10.11.11.11 ",. my session has been served by the EP3 server.

I stayed 20 mins inactive and then I executed the following comand on the loadbalncer:

>>show sticky data client 10.11.11.11    the output is:

sticky group : STICK-G1
type         : IP
timeout      : 30            timeout-activeconns : TRUE
sticky-entry          rserver-instance                 time-to-expire 

---------------------+--------------------------------+--------------+-------+
  10.11.11.11           EP3:50000                    600         

and if  I stayed another 20 mins inactive , the session should be expired.

when I execute the command again nothing is comming.

but when try to do any activity on the system, it tooks me again to EP3 server.

I don't know why, I tried with more than 4 users , the same scenario.

i have 4 Application server EP1 till EP4.

Regards,

SE

Can you post "show ver" and "show run"? How do you know it is going to the same server?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: