cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC-Miss Rate on ACE module

petersonb
Level 1
Level 1

What exactly does the MAC-Miss rate mean on the ACE? And if we are running out of resources for it, should I worry?

We have only implemented 1 production policy on the ACE module so far and we are already running out of resources for the mac-miss rate. All other resources look good.

Is this OK? Or is something wrong here?

Attached is the resource usage counters.

Thanks,

Ben

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When the ACE receives traffic for which it does not have an arp entry for either the source or destination, this is called a mac-miss and the fastpath agent needs to ask the slowpath agent to perform an arp request.

This communication is rate-limited.

With no mac entry for a src or dst, we drop the packet.

So, you should increase the resource.

Or review your design.

It's best to have the clients coming through a gateway (ie: the MSFC) instead of directly accessing the ACE.

This way only 1 mac entry is needed - the gateway.

You'll see a counter like this

switch/Admin# sho np 1 me-stats "-socm -v" | i mac

Drop [mac lookup fail]: 4 0

Gilles.

Thanks for the info. we do have the routed design where all traffic into the front-end VIP is routed into that VLAN.

I tried to command you mentioned and here is what I got:

MSNGO-ACE-Admin-1/MSNGO-Infra-Services# sho np 1 me-stats "-socm -v" | i mac

Drop [mac lookup fail]: 0 0

If I type look at the MAC-Miss resources here is that counter:

MSNGO-ACE-Admin-1/MSNGO-Infra-Services# sh resource usage | i mac

mac-miss rate 214 1280 300 1100 834764

It just seems out mac-miss is rather high for some reason. The context is allowed to use 100% of the resources for the mac-miss. I am just not sure where the issue could be here.

Ben

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: