cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TCP connections required by BPOS for WAAS???

james
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

Trying to do some estimations for sizing WAAS appliances in conjunction with deploying Microsoft BPOS. We currently have neither WAAS nor BPOS. I cannot find any documents that list the concurrent TCP connections required on average.

Can anyone say from experience how many connections BPOS would use on a WAAS appliance?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

For Microsoft BPOS, here is the link to give you some idea on how many connections it will need.

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/3dea7174-a521-4442-a7c5-5d540e09b20d.htm

About WAAS, this pdf link should give you good idea on what HW model will fit in your network requirement:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6870/Cisco_WAAS_SizingGuidlines.pdf

You will need partner access to read above document. If you do not have access, please request your partner / reseller / Cisco Account team to help you with.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

PS: Please mark this question as Answered, if this answers your question.

Thanks for the reply, but I am familiar with those documents but they do not answer the question.

WAAS devices are generally limited by the number of concurrent TCP connections supported, whilst the Microsoft document talks about the bandwidth required per user, to seperate things.

Basically I'm trying to work out, as an example, for 50 staff running BPOS what size appliance would I require.

Currently we use riverbeds running at 4-6 connections per client, but I've heard that BPOS takes 30 connections per client which will require us to upgrade the model well above what was planned. I was hoping someone who has WAAS & BPOS running together might be able to add some input from their discussions.

Thanks

Hi James,

The total number of connections for a single BPO will vary a lot on what every user's requirement. e.g. MS Outlook may use 15 connections depending upon the configuration on Outlook and features required by outlook client. That includes everything right from the number of Exchange servers, calendar sharing, plugins, etc to the one note sync up and MS Live upload sync ups.

The best way to judge number of connections is to run netstat on few random PCs and find out how many open connections they have. That might give you some insight for your requirement.

Regards.

Thanks again, but as mentioned we're not running BPOS yet, still on Lotus Notes, so running netstat will not

be of assistance

I understand things will vary depending on usage, so am looking for some real world examples. Are you running BPOS? Is 15 the number you are seeing roughly?

Cheers