cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual IP and Failover

paul.roe
Level 1
Level 1

I have two servers, one is the main and the other is on another site and is updated to keep it in sysnc with the first server.

We don't want any load balancing so that WAN traffic is kept to a minium. But if the first server fails we want users bowser session directed to the backup server on the remote site.

Can i do this with LocalDirector?

4 Replies 4

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

I don’t see any way to configure that. Can’t you build redundant servers at each site?

Using a Global load balancing solution should do this e.g. Distributed Director.

This would require specific configuration to fail over, only if the main site fails.

kwang.moon
Level 1
Level 1

Presumably, even though these servers are at two different sites they are logically positioned in such a way that they could be load balanced (if you wanted to). If that is the case, then you could use the backup command to acheive your goal.

eg.

virtual 10.1.1.1

real 192.168.1.1

real 192.168.2.1

backup 192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1

bind 10.1.1.1 192.168.1.1

route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 wan-router

This configuration will cause all traffic to be directed to your main server and in the event that server is not available, then the backup server will be used, thus the WAN link will only be used during a failure scenario.

jbaigorr
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone that replied is correct.The LDIR will not do global load balancing. Which is what you require. You can do it locally with the backup command.

You might want to consider the Distributed Director and CSS for global load balancing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card