cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN To VLAN

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possible to bridge one vlan to another vlan if they are on different subnets? Like can clients accessing to one vlan, access the resources on another vlan?

6 Replies 6

Diego Vargas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Could you please clarify which device are you working on? The CSS for instance does inter-VLAN routing by default and you can definitely access resources on another VLAN.

O my, Im sorry, i forgot that detail about the device, I am working with a CSS 11501. I have a vlan setup with two load balancing servers. The servers are plugged into the CSS, and theres a cable connecting to a 8 port switch on the same vlan. So if i plug my laptop into that 8 port switch I can access the load balanced servers. Lets say the subnet for this switch and servers is 10.0.0.X/24. Now i create another vlan with the same setup, 2 servers, 8 port switch, and cable from the CSS to the switch. But its a different switch on another subnet like 192.168.1.X/24. i want to be able to access the load balanced servers on the 10.0.0.X subnet from my laptop while plugged into the 8 port switch with the 192.168.1.X subnet. So I need to allow each vlan to access the other vlan right? So that is possible right? What contents of the manuals do I need to look at to get this accomplished?

Well the CSS allows access to the other VLAN by default

Now if is not working it might be that the traffic is breaking out somewhere.

So when the laptop is on 192.168.1.x network you are going to a VIP and get balanced to a server on subnet 10.0.0.x right? if so, is the CSS the only layer 3 device? is the server pointing to the CSS as its default gateway? is it returning traffic thru the CSS? if not it could be an asymmetric flow issue.

I can not get to the servers on the 10.0.0.X from the 192.168.1.X subnet. i can only get to the servers on the same subnet. CSS is the only layer 3 device. Servers are NOT pointing to the CSS as default gateway.....is this needed?

Yes, you have to point your gateway on the servers to the CSS's interface address on the local vlan then it will route the traffic. The CSS is a layer 3 through 7 device.

When you say the CSS's interface address, are you reffering to the Ethernet port address or the VLAN(Circuit) Ip interface address?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: