Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS 4.4.1 upgrade

johng231
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

We're planning on upgrading our production WAEs this weekend in one of our regions. Is it necessary to run the disk delete-data-partitions, after the upgrade? The documentation says you may improve the DRE performance, but doing this will take much longer than just pushing out the image and rebooting.

After we upgrade all of the WAEs, what is the best performance setting on the policies that have DRE applied to it? The default is bidirectional, which is the same setting as prior to 4.4.1. I would think this is the best option as it caches both sides. The other options are unidirectional and adaptive.

2 Replies 2

Fabrizio Pedracini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

the disk delete-data-partition is suggested to recreate the cache with the new format but it's not strictly required. If you don't do it only around 15% of the local cache will be deleted to make room for the new cache and the 2 formats will co-exsist until the old cache is aged out.

For the caching mode, it depends on the specific traffic. From the config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v441/configuration/guide/policy.html#wp1042318

The predefined application policies are configured  to use the optimal DRE caching mode, depending on the typical  application traffic, though you can change the mode if you want. 

keep in mind that bidirectional will be used when the peer is pre-4.4.1

hope this helps,

Fabrizio

Thanks for the information. So I'll wait until we have all of our WAAS devices in production upgraded to 4.4.1 and see if they will use the new DRE settings. If I do a show statistics connection conn-id , I should see it using the optimal DRE setting other than bidirectional.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: