Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS and quality of Service (wred)

I currently have WAAS deployed in my environment. I would like to introduce wred to prevent sessions from overiding my network. However, my WAAS engineer thinks that using WAAS would pose a problem.

Issue:

At least once a week a user attempts to ftp a large file from the internet, which ends up causing performance issues and saturation. The internet is via the datacenter so egress qos is being used.

Internet --WAAS---Router=====MPLS======Router----WAAS----Client

Since there is no way to do ingress shaping. And that would not entirely help either. I need a way to manage session by session during congestion. So introduce WRED. Which will look like that.

Internet----WAAS---Router======MPLS======Router--(wred)---WAAS---Client

So on the internal interface going egress to the LAN to regulate ingress sessions to the lan during a congestion state.

The problem for thought.

Lets say in a congestion state WRED  randomly drops packets to throttle back the window size of an ftp session going through WAAS. How would WAAS respond to the random dropping of packets? Do those drops go to the source of the packets to throttle back or does WAAS act as the source? WAAS specialty is performance so it is supposed to compensate for drop packets. In this scenerio is WAAS the problem?

If your an expert in WAAS I welcome your opinion.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

gaursin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Derek,

As you known WAAS technology works on TCP proxy feature by hiding actual clients from WAN environment. So any packet loss (either due to WAN congestion or due to WRED) will be handle by WAAS TFO (using BIC and SACK) and will not be throttle back to actual clients.

Also traffic optimized by the WAAS TFO feature automatically supports ECN feature of WRED also.

i hope this information may help

View solution in original post

the statement for ECN was added just to emphasis how much WAAS support standard QOS tool.

Regarding Q? yes all adjustments will be done in the proxy TCP connection between the two WAE's.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

gaursin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Derek,

As you known WAAS technology works on TCP proxy feature by hiding actual clients from WAN environment. So any packet loss (either due to WAN congestion or due to WRED) will be handle by WAAS TFO (using BIC and SACK) and will not be throttle back to actual clients.

Also traffic optimized by the WAAS TFO feature automatically supports ECN feature of WRED also.

i hope this information may help

Information is very helpful.

So any retransmissions and adjustments to window sizes would be performed by the WAAS instead of the client itself?  I didnt want to make a guess that the statment regarding ECN feature answered that question.

the statement for ECN was added just to emphasis how much WAAS support standard QOS tool.

Regarding Q? yes all adjustments will be done in the proxy TCP connection between the two WAE's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: