cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS and WCCP question

David Niemann
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible to transition between two different WAAS appliances if using WCCP redirection? Currently I'm using a WAVE 274 and want to migrate to a recently installed NM-WAE-522.  WCCP is currently being used to redirect traffic to the WAVE.  Can I simply add the WAE to the WCCP config and then remove the WAVE?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gaursin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

Yes you cn simply add the new WAE  in network using by enabling WCCP on it and then you can disable the WCCP on previous WAE. After WCCP is disable on old WAE it will go for clean shutdown mode where in it will continue servicing eixting flows but router will not forward any new flows to it, finally you can remove it from network.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gaursin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

Yes you cn simply add the new WAE  in network using by enabling WCCP on it and then you can disable the WCCP on previous WAE. After WCCP is disable on old WAE it will go for clean shutdown mode where in it will continue servicing eixting flows but router will not forward any new flows to it, finally you can remove it from network.

Does it matter that they are in the same subnet or not? The NM-WAE-522 is obviously on the same subnet as one of the router interfaces, but the WAVE-274 is actually on a different subnet off of our 6509.  I thought I remembered reading that it was at least recommended that WCCP devices be on the same subnet for load balancing, but I'm guessing it doesn't matter as I'm using L3 GRE redirection.

Hi David,

The WAEs can be on different subnets and still be loadbalanced since you are using WCCP redirect and negotiated return. This should be good.

Regards

Kiran

This did end up working exactly as I thought it would.  Added the second WAE, then did a clean shutdown on the appliance which let connections close out first and there was no interruption in service as all connections moved to the WAE module.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: