cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS "TCP ACKed lost segment" message

Nigel Bowden
Level 2
Level 2

I have deployed a couple of WAAS units across a link and have issues.

If I set everything to pass-thru, everything works OK (as no traffic is hitting any classifiers). The top line of my policy is basically a match-all pass-thru (just for testing).

All ethernet ports are nailed to 100M/FD and run with clean stats.

If I disable the pass thru rule and allow traffic to hit classifiers in my policy, I get issues for any classifiers that apply any form of acceleration.

I have captured data using tethereal on the WAE's and am seeing "TCP ACKed lost segment" messages on the ACK frame of the SYN-SYN/ACK-ACK sequence of the TCP setup. I see this on the WAN port of one of my WAE's.

Is this a symptom of a stateful firewall in my service providers network that is disrupting the WAAS discovery method ? My SP says that there are no FW's in the path, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting the whole story here.

The code is 4.0.13.23.

If I physically back-to-back the WAE's on the bench via a test router, they work fine!

Any ideas ?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Nigel,

Do you have packet captures from both sides of the link? That's the quickest way to see of the final ACK for the optimized connection is being dropped.

Zach