cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Upgrade

tverhoeven
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading 2 WAE and a central manager box from 4.0.13 to 4.1.3.55. I have done all the backups and am preparing to do the disk check. I have a few questions before moving forward.

When I reboot these things, will the site experience an outage?

Should I have someone onsite in the event that something breaks? I am about 3000 miles away from the sites to be upgraded.

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

Before you upgrade your WAE, you must run a script (the WAAS disk check tool) that checks the file system for errors that can result from a RAID synchronization failure.

When you run the WAAS disk check tool, you will be logged out of the device. The device automatically reboots after it has completed checking the file system. Because this operation results in a reboot, we recommend that you perform this operation after normal business hours.

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would review the following in the release notes: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v413/release/notes/ws413xrn.html#wp42041

Depending on interception of traffic, the sites will expirience a short outage (inline or wccp) while traffic reconnects during the reboot.

These are server class boxes, I have upgraded 1000s of these boxes remotely without issues. However any time you have a spinning disk stop and then spin back up, it's always possible there may be a failure, but unlikely.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: