Views
Helpful
Replies

WAE - Can Gig2/0 back up Gig1/0?

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I'm configuring WAE-7326 & WAE-612. There are two Gigabit Ethernet interfaces: Gig 1/0 and Gig 2/0.

What is the other interface typically used for? For e.g. my primary interface is Gig 1/0. What should I use Gig 2/0 for? I wish to use it to back up Gig 1/0. How to do it? Can you share sample config?

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

2 Replies 2

danhosking
Level 1
Level 1

I believe you can form an Etherchannel with the 2 ports. So doing this should provide you redundancy.

salolope
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lim,

The second interface can be used to: (1) connect to a different network, (2) to form a port-channel with the first interface or (3) to provide a redundant connection (in case of failure to the first interface).

The third option is typically done by creating a "Standby" interface. This is similar to "NIC teaming" on a server. This "Standby" interface is a logical layer 3 interface in which Gig 1/0 and Gig 2/0 are in the same "standby group" and one would take over the load in case the primary failed.

Please take a look here for reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/wafs/v30/configuration/guide/interfac.html#wp1136645

Thanks,

Sal