cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Animations a waste of time

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

I know fluffy animations are fun and pretty to look at but they provide zero functionality.  When I drag an item in teh topology and it refuses to stay where I put it (that's for another post) the animations are simply a waste of time.  Can we have an optoin to disable animations?

9 Replies 9

Marc Bresniker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brian, when you say annimations, do you mean the icons in the Topology? Or is this an issue with your manual placement of devices in the Topology and it is not saving the modifications?

All of it.  There is simply no need for animation unless this is to be used as a game.  Vendors have decided that animations are what everyone wants, but animation becuase some programmer knows how to animate something only wastes CPU time and bandwidth.

As for icons not staying, correct they do not.

The topology screen allows you to select from different layout types using the tool buttons at the top of the screen.

The fifth button (from the left) switches you to a manual layout (when you hover over the button it will say "Manual Layout"). If you select this mode, the icons may be repositioned wherever you wish.

Brian,

Thank you for your comment. There are ongoing discussions between engineering and product management on just this topic ... a balance of eye-candy or real work. If the tool were designed wholly to optimize time on task for a technical worker, your argument against animations is weighty. Additionally, there is an engineering resource and scale burden to animation (CPU, memory, IO, developer skills) that increases our own service lifecycle costs. There are also performance hits on the portal and its back-end server and the client browser you use.... click-to-response time increases with animation and browser platform becomes more sluggish. It will be helpful if you can provide a top-level estimate as to the degree of "wastefulness" (% time "wasted") in performance of your tasks due to animation. This can be most effectively measured/estimated in terms of "time" and time can be translated to "I get home X minutes later and cannot play with my kids as long", or "For my allotted time on task during the day, the % or customers I cannot serve is 25% due to animation delays," or my response to a customer crisis is 50% longer when I have to deal with animation delays for specific tasks."

Some participants have suggested that elements of animation will IMPROVE their bottom line... notably when elements of the portal are used for presentation to customers in either pre-sale or post-sale activity. Eye-candy can be positively used to make a sales point, where pure html might not.

Appreciate yours and others opinions on a) where animation helps, b) where animation hinders, c) whether widgets to enable/disable animation at certain pages in the portal UI would be helpful - to optimize performance when time on task is critical and to optimize performance when briefing your customers with a realtime view is important. Statically created reports can make a case, but animations may lead the creative juices in your customer fuurther towards a "deal".

Comments and opinions appreciated.

Dave

I'm not sure I or anyone can quanify with any legitimate level of accuracy how much time it wastes, but that it takes a second, let's say for sake of arguement, every time you wait for an icon you're wasting time and that time adds up.  Why not give us what Windows does.  Windows lets the user decide if they want the most fluffy user experience or if they want speed (I always opt for speed) and honestly in for our customers, they will not care about fluff, they want to see results.  No one with computers in their business more than 6 months really cares about animations from my experience and many customers have ended up disabling Aero and all the rest of the fluff that goes with Windows' new GUI after a few months so a check box to disable animations is the best way to keep everyone happy.

I agree, I always set XP to adjust for best performance, disabling the the Luna interface, or Aero in Vista.  The animations are helpful sometimes though, such as when you are new to an interface, and especially when a new device appears on the network. The tweening animation gives your brain enough time to register which item is new and where it ended up on the screen.  But as you say, after 6 months do you really care to see it?  Probably not.  I think a default of having the animations enabled but with an option to disable them is sensible here.

-mike

:)

Animation and or colors to alert us of changes to the network (GOOD)

New Devices

Firmware Update

Device/s causing network problems

etc...

Example: Last week I had a simple network with MAC Computer and Windows XP Desktop PC, Wireless Printer, Windows XP Laptop, Wireless Router

Received a notice from one of the desktops that muliple devices had the same IP.

Ran scan of network and all devices had unique IP addresses and devices were accounted for.

Having Thunderbolt watching and letting me know where the smoking gun is would be nice.

thx,

Jay

Hi Jay,

Some of these alerts already exist, but I will add "Detect Duplicate IP" to the list of events we generate.

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi Jay,

You'll see a 'Duplicate IP Monitor' within the next drop in a couple of weeks.

-mike