Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic rebooting of router

lokibjensen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I've had an ongoing problem on just about every firmware version of the ISA570W.  Every day the unit will reboot itself.  Particularly if I am doing something like connecting to a media server to control streaming audio while doing something like being connected to a VPN.  It seems that something gets overloaded in the router and it just reboots.  My OnPlus unit confirms this.  Is anybody else experiencing random reboots?

4 Replies 4

ddiep
Level 4
Level 4

Hi lokibjensen,

We need to find a rootcause of problem. Please provide us a few details:

- From Dashboard, check CPU and memory usage under normal condition. Check again when you utilize streaming audio.

- When use streaming audio, where is location of the client? i.e.  LAN, via VPN, or from WAN via port-forwarding?

- What type of your VPN connection at the time, site2site, teleworker, AnyConnect?

- Topology of your network.

If possible, please email (unicast to ddiep@cisco.com) me your config file (w/ username/pw). We'll try to replicate same scenario in our lab.

Thanks,

Don

Hi there and thanks for the help. I sent you the diagnostic info.

In answer to your questions (in order):

1.] I will check but technically I’m not streaming audio over the network. I’m controlling the device through the WAN even though I am within range of the wireless. Connecting through the WAN on my phone to control the unit saves battery life on the device so I prefer not to turn on wifi. Think of it as using my phone as a remote control for a media server but instead of connecting through the LAN I’m connecting and controlling through the WAN. We are a company that specializes in creating networks for very large home automation systems and this is a common practice our clients would do.

2.] Once again, we are not streaming audio but rather controlling the media server that gives us two way feedback on the “remote” in this case an Android phone. The connection is through the WAN via port forwarding.

3.] The VPN connection is done with SonicWALL Global VPN client and is used throughout the day to securely connect to our clients systems. As the ISA is in our lab it is also what we use to connect out to clients networks for service and/or support. We’ve found the issue mainly comes up when we are doing anything that requires outside of normal traffic through the WAN. This seems to include the external connection from the remote while concurrently utilizing VPN. This is very random though so it’s hard to pinpoint. All I know is that it will reboot on its own with no rhyme or reason to it and other times it seems to happen when multiple things are going through the WAN at once. For instance, just yesterday we were VPN’d into a location and tried to stream a local radio station at the same time and the router rebooted twice in row.

4.] We have a very simple setup as of right now due to the fact that we recently upgraded the firmware on the ISA. We’re back to a flat network, no VLAN’s, with an ESW-5408P switch, the ISA500W, and our cable modem. We have an OnPlus unit connected as well as a few other devices for testing purposes including a media server, a Crestron control processor, two network printers, some laptops, and every once in a while a full network or two (being configured) added to one of the ISA ports for internet access.

Thanks Bjorn for your explanation.  We understand your network environment much better now. We'll try to emulate your environment in the lab and see if we can replicate the issue.

In the meantime, please give us a quick snapshot of your ISA memory and cpu utilization. Btw, does your unit also has security license enable?

Regards,

Don

Bjorn,

According to your config file that you sent me, your unit still operated w/ fw=0.5.4.

There is known system reboot problem due to web security and firewall in this fw.

Would you please try again w/ 0.5.9-16. Let me know if it's still unexpectedly rebooted.

Thanks,

Don