cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Config note on ESW switch and saving settings...

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

I know at least one other of us ran into this problem so I thought I'd share it here...

I could not for the life of me figure out why the ESW kept going back to a DHCP address vs. a static IP.  I kept clicking Apply and I never got an error and then I was able to manage the switch via the new IP, but when it was power cycled it would revert to DHCP with default credentials.  I dug all 3 of the ESW's Marcos sent me.  All 3 exhibited the same problem so I knew I had to be missing something.

After much trial and error I found a very SMALL link in the upper right hand corner that says "Save Configuration".  It was white just like the rest of the menus (Logout, About, Help) with no real indication it was mean to be used for anything other than exporting the config for later restoration (but I figured the TBA would do that for me so I never bothered with it).  I clicked it anyway and low and behold it turned gray!  When it's gray there's nothing to save, when it's white (and it's certainly not BOLDwhite or any other indication that you're really supposed to do something with it) there is something to be saved, but if you've made even one simple change, like setting the password the first time you log in, without noticing the different colour of the "Save Configuration" link you may never notice you need to click it.  It's NOT like the WAP and any of the other Cisco Small Business equipment (like the RV082 router) I've used over the years where when you click the button on the page it really does save it.  There's an extra step in the ESW. I should have known this becuase with an ASA or PIX you have to commit changes with wr m but that's in the CLI, but I didn't try the ESW in the CLI, and I don't use a GUI to manage a PIX/ASA.

Marcos, if you'd pass this on to the ESW PM, they need to make that link BOLD, RED, and 3x bigger.  I'm betting more than one call to TAC has resulted from this simple item.

Anyway, I hope everyone else is enjoying this as much as I am.

2 Replies 2

Brian,

I will forward this to the ESW Product team. I have seen the same complaint at least once in the Community.

Thanks,

Marcos

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

Maybe they'll give us a firmware with this change in it to test the TBA upgrading the ESW ;-)