Views
Helpful
Replies

Functionality of the Floor Plan

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Team,

Could someone please advise what the functionality of the floor plan is for?

I have uploaded the floor plan as per the screen shot, but that is as far as I can take it, there seems to be no higher purpose, or I just have not found it.

Is it possible to have some sort of guidance written on this page to the right hand side, or at the worst a ? symbol somewhere.

I would love some more information about this floor plan, what it does, how it works and what are the preferred formats, as I have tried in both JPEG and PNG formats to no avail.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This feature is a little rudimentary right now.  At the moment, it is really only usable for documentation purposes, and that is how we have written it up in the administration guide.  But having floorplans available provides a platform for some of the roadmapped features that involve showing you the location of an object in the environment.  Those features will not be in the first release, but will come in the subsequent releases.

Cheers,
Dave.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This feature is a little rudimentary right now.  At the moment, it is really only usable for documentation purposes, and that is how we have written it up in the administration guide.  But having floorplans available provides a platform for some of the roadmapped features that involve showing you the location of an object in the environment.  Those features will not be in the first release, but will come in the subsequent releases.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the feedback :)

If I can make a suggestion, it would be good to be able to place the AP's as an overlay onto these uploaded floor plans, and from there we can see connected devices being overlaid over the top of the floor plan, that would be a fantastic feature, and very much befitting of its name "FindIT" :)

Hopefully it can be considered and potentially put in one of the releases one day.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

You can place the APs - and indeed any of the managed devices - on the floorplan today.  That is the documentation piece.  Locating the clients requires some enhancements to the APs that is on the roadmap, but not available with the current crop of devices.

Cheers,
Dave.

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

And for the second part of the question, image formats supported are png, jpg, and gif, up to 500kB in size.  There were some issues fixed with the upload failing silently if the image was >500kB, as well as a couple of other upload issues.  But I don't remember offhand whether they were fixed before or after this particular beta drop was released.  Check again in the next beta drop and everything should work ok.

Cheers,
Dave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: