cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Minor Issue With InterVlan Routing...

jay.johnson1
Level 1
Level 1

Vlan appears to be working with one "minor" problem.  For example, if I connect my pc directly to the RV220w, I can ping all of the vlans (provided the ip address on the pc coincides with the vlan assigned to the port):

Default Vlan:  172.16.30.0 (Primary Management/No traffic)

Vlan2:  172.16.31.0 (Secondary Management/No traffic)

Vlan3:  172.16.29.3 (Voice)

Vlan4:  172.16.29.0 (Data)

I actually have my WRVS4400n router acting as an access point (WAN port is not connected) with it's port 1 (configured as an access port) connected to port 3 on the RVS220w (port 3 is a member of vlan 4).  The ip address for the 4400n is 172.16.29.2 (address is in vlan 4).

I can't ping the access point but I can ping the devices that are connected to it (i.e., NAS with ip 172.16.29.102).  If I had the exact same setup with the 4400n connected to my 871w, I could ping the NAS "and" the access point.

Like I said, minor issue, but all appears to be working.

Jay

Certified: CCNA (R/S, Security, Voice), CCDA, CCNP (R/S)
5 Replies 5

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

Jay just thinking out loudly....

what is VLAN3 and VLAN4's subnet masks

Regards Simon

I'd spoken directly to Simon earlier regarding his question.  All of my vlans have a class c subnet mask.  Like I said, aside from not being able to ping the switch's ip although I can ping the devices that are attached to it, the intervlan routing is running great.  I just had a 40 min VoIP conversation via my PBX server (FreePBX) while downloading from the internet.  Get this; I'm using the original Linksys 802.11g ip phone that Kevin swore was the devil back then (it's working good for me; what more can be said, right?) 

I can't say it enough; I'm luvin' this here router.  On to testing the wireless next...

Jay

ddiep
Level 4
Level 4

Jay,

I'm seeing the same thing as you did. It 's quite baffling!

A quick question: How did you get 172.16.29.2 as mgmt ip for the 4400n? Did you statically assign it?

I'm not sure what's going on but will continue to investigate.

Don,

yes, I statically assigned the LAN ID as 172.16.29.2 .  If I were using it as a router (it's intended design), then I would have made the LAN IP 172.16.29.1 .

Could the problem be with "ICMP" once a managment vlan for that segment (172.16.31.1) is configured (not responding to pings)?

Jay

Jay,

>Could the problem be with "ICMP" once a managment vlan for that segment (172.16.31.1) is configured (not responding to pings)?

I'm not sure if this is the case. Though the device (PC) behind this AP/router was able to ping it. I'm still investigating. Must admit this topology is a bit unorthordox.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: