cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Failover Options In Case Of ISP Outage...

jay.johnson1
Level 1
Level 1

Don,

in all the years I've owned (and recently tested) linksys/cisco products, not once have I ever seen any "failback" capability designed with the unit.  Is there a chance before these units go into mass production that failover could be considered?  I have another device that I use when I'm on the road that has this capability, and it's made by Cradlepoint:  http://www.computer-network.net/mbr1200-cradlepoint-wireless-mobile-router

The nice thing is that even if I don't have an available broadband connection, I can just plug in my verizon aircard (mine was grandfathered over from alltel with unlimited access) so I literally have a ghost network/mobile office anywhere I go.  Next week when I go to visit family, I can set this up  and we all have internet access (I'll still be able to get back to my RVS220 in my home office).  If I'm in the office and I lose my broadband, it "automagically" fails over to the aircard; once my isp is back online, it fails back to the isp connection.

The vpn from this thing is solid as well.  However, it doesn't support vlans (when I get my new SLM2008, that part will be covered), and doesn't support SSL VPN or IPSEC clients like Quickvpn.  Outside of that, it's a wicked piece of kit, granted not having those features of the RV220.

If CISCO could start doing this with their SMB routers, we're talking domination (just my thoughts...).  Something to think about, yes?

Jay

Certified: CCNA (R/S, Security, Voice), CCDA, CCNP (R/S)
1 Reply 1

ddiep
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks Jay. Interesting article.

I'd spoke w/ our Product Engineering team about this router feature of failover/fallback (using 3g/4g as backup) and was informed that we (Cisco) are also working on one. Though I do not know time of its release.

Regards,

Don