cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Device View" title seems illogical

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

Device View implies one can view devices; however, one can only view switches so shouldn't this be called "Switch View"?

10 Replies 10

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The feature is still incomplete.  It will also show routers there when it is done, and the WAP351 - the one with an embedded switch - should also appear there once we have restconf firmware available for it.

Anyway, the intent is for this to be more than just switches.

Cheers,
Dave.

I think it will still be confusing if you call it Device View and 371s and other devices don't appear there, at least for the less experienced user.

Point taken.

OK Time to chime in on this one :)

So I am thinking the following names should be used potentially.

1. Device Configuration
  2. Port Configuration
  3. Managed Devices
  4. Port View
  5. Switch View (Though that would become redundant very quickly once this section expands to what it actually should be)

I do agree with Brian that it does have to be more intelligently names, but the word "Intelligent" is very subjective, so there would need to be a consensus across all the beta testers and developers I guess.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Do you have a preferred option?  Or is that a prioritised list?

Semi Prioritized I guess!

But more of an opinion as well, which I am sure others will most likely differ :)

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi all,

Over the last few days I've had various suggestions from different people on what the name should be here, and unfortunately, there is no clear consensus, which suggests to me that the name by itself is not going to be enough to prevent confusion, no matter what it is.

So I'm wondering if a simple and obvious approach might actually be the best - put an explicit note on the page explaining that it is limited to configurable devices.  Have a look at the mockup below and see if it might work.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave,

So why would you not just call it "Port Configuration" and then also have that note as well on the page?

That seems to make sense to me.

Cheers,

David.

Port Configuration didn't really seem any more popular than any other name.  Actually, the most explicit votes I got for any specific name was for Device View. :)

Also, strictly speaking, it's not just a configuration page, though Port View or Port Management would probably work.

Cheers,
Dave. 

BINGO!!!

Port Management.... Now that is a name I would vote for :)

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: