cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08x support???

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

In the lead-up documentation received on 4 July 2016, it indicates no support in FindIT for SG200-08 devices.  Is this permanent or coming later?  We have tons of these devices out there, including SG200-08P units.  In fact, I have one client with over a dozen deployed in a single location.  It'd be a shame to leave this workhorse out of the system.

5 Replies 5

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is actually a device limitation rather than a FindIT limitation.  The SG200-08 and -08P switches use a different software platform to the rest of the portfolio (long story - don't ask), and as a result, do not support SNMP or RESTCONF, and do not have the prospect of supporting these in the future.  So what we can do with them is a bit limited.

FindIT does discover and display all the basic information about the devices, the get included in the inventory and lifecycle reports, and they will be correctly identified and located in the topology, though any downstream devices will just show as being directly attached to the switch, which may be incorrect in some corner cases.  FindIT will not be able to configure the devices or display statistical data in the dashboard, and you will not get any port level visibility.

These switches have now been superseded by the SG250-08x switches, and they do not suffer from the same limitations.  I know that does not help with the existing install base, but unfortunately, there isn't a lot we can do about those.

Cheers,

Dave.

Gotcha.  One thing, I don't see SG250-08x devices on cisco.com or places like CDW or Amazon and the SG250-10P is significantly more expensive than either the SG200-10FP or SG200-08P.  I've not delved into the specs, and while they may add more features, the cost difference is going to hurt Cisco.  I already run into major problems with WAP371s and their cost compared to some other brands and having a $155 4 port PoE switch helps a bit.  At almost double that, the SG250-10P is going to dissuade small businesses from buying into or staying with the Cisco line.  For small businesses it's not about the plethora of features, it's about "does it work at a price I can afford?".

I'll ask one of the switching guys to comment on this as I am not really across the pricing and positioning for these units - at least, not enough to be able to make an intelligent comment.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comments. We have plan for SG250-08 and SG250-08HP at the same price as SG200-08 and SG200-08P. The models will come out later CY17.

250 series add many new capabilities like PoE+, PoE pass-through (select model), simplified UI, MSTP and USB file management, while priced the same as the 200 series switches for most models.

250 series are delivered in two phases because of the high number of SKUs. But rest assured, the 200 series models will continue to be available before the replacement 250 series models are launched.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks Aaron!  Glad to hear this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: