Views
Helpful
Replies

System Upgrade

chris.pope
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently had to replace my unit becuase of RAID failure.  I'm trying to see if there are any new AsyncOS upgrades but, when I try to check available upgrades I get: 

ErrorFailure downloading upgrade list.
21 Replies 21

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Chris,

Generally this means the blocker can't open the URL for download. It could be getting blocked by your firewall. What is your current AsynoOS now?

Also run a full system test under the administration tab and see if everything comes back ok; if it does come back ok and you are still getting the error then you call us at 1-866-606-1866 for closer examination.

Cisco Small Business

Support Engineer

-Jason-

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick reponse!

Since this is a new unit, I'm most likely running the newest release but, its 7.0.1-102.  Also, when I run the full system test the results are successfull.  Finally, the public port of my blocker is not behind a firewall.  I will give a call to support.

Just curious, since this is a replacement unit could there be a registration issue causing this?  My system status shows that registration is incomplete.  Do I need to have the new serial number associated with my serivce contract & feature keys?  Looks like everything expires in 29days which would be consistant with trial registraton.

-Chris

Yes, this will be your problem. Did you transfer your license from old to new ? If not go to www.cisco.com/go/licenselog in with your Cisco user id , when this page opens up you want to click on register for an Cisco Blocker RMA license and follow the prompts. If you have completed this and your blocker is still showing inactive. Please call 1-866-606-1866 for the next available engineer and open a new case.

Cisco Small Business

Support Engineer

--Jason--

Jason,

No, I did not know I had to transfer my license but, I suspected there was something I wasnt being told.  I followed the link you provided and successfully transfered by license.  I guess I need to wait 24hrs or so for my blocker to say registration complete and to be able to download the upgrade list???

Thanks

-Chris

I just checked for available upgrades and I'm getting Error -  No available upgrades.  I imagine this is the normal message to expect when running the most current OS version.

Jason, I have a similar issue.  I have had to RMA our Cisco Spam Blocker

.  Unfortunately the one that is being RMA'd is still in place and working (the reason for the RMA is that the Ati-virus Sopho engine is no longer updating)

Anyway, it is still inline and working.  Now I have the RMA unit that I need to upgrade the Firmware (as in this post) in order to load the configuration file.  However I get the same error.  I can't register or transfer the licenses from the existing unit (because it will take down mail not only for us but for several of our custiomers).  How can I upgrade the firmware on the new blocker and get licenses so that I can upload the configuration file then install the unit?

Thanks for your input

Thomas Lansdell

SR: 615752377

Thomas,

What is the current OS Ver you are running and what do need to upgrade to?  Are you running 7.1.2 build 20 on your running unit?

-Chris

Chris~

I am running 7.1 on the production unit and the RMA unit came with 7.0

Unfortunately I can't upgrade because of the license issue (which I can't transfer because my other unit is currently providing SPAM/AV).  I opened a case to try and work around this.  I can't haev mail down for 24 hours.  I was told that the production unit will go offline once I transfer the licenses.

Thoughts?

When I got my new unit I did the registration and just a bogus initial config of the unit.  I restored the config and the safe/block list from my running unit to the new unit. When the new unit was ready to reboot I disco'd my current unit from the network, connected the new unit and let it boot with the new config.  Yes, the mail was down for a couple of minutes but, everything was working fine after that.  It was not until 2 days later when I found out I had to transfer my license as you probably saw in my recent posts.  Actually, after I did the transfer on Friday, my new blocker is still running on the 30 day initial license that is setup by default and working normally.  On that note I opened a new case today and Jason, who is the license guy, he will be getting back to me.

Are there services that you use not covered by the default 30 day license?  Too bad there isn't a documented process for swapping out units.  Maybe after this we could create one?

-Chris

That is interesting.  So given my scenario, do you see a solution that would allow me to upgrade my firmware on the RMA box so that I can load the configuration file?  I get that from your message you were able to do that.  I have a bogus config in the unity right now and network connectivity.  My big concern is losing the functionality of the unit currently in production (the one that is to be RMA'd).

Thanks for your input Chris.

My contact info is:

Thomas Lansdell
CCVP, MSCIS
Senior Network Engineer

tlansdell@ResonantTechnologyPartners.com

www.ResonantTechnologyPartners.com

+1   210.477.3688 | Work
+1 210.557.5534 | Mobile
+1 866.404.4439 | Toll Free
+1 210.477.3690 | Fax

+1 210.477.3680 | Support Center

http://www.beresonant.com/images/signature.gif

I hope I'm not stearing you in the wrong direction!

Is there any reason you cannot restore the config file on a unit running 7.1 to a unit running 7.0?  Are there any programming or configuration options set that are not available in 7.0 that would not make the config file it backwards compatible?

When I recvied my new RMA unit, I registered it with my test config and let it burn-in for about a day or so before I restored the config from my running unit and put it online.

Here are my current feature keys.  As you an see they are active but, only for 30days.  Again, I opened a case because I have transfered my license and it has not taken yet.  BTW, I asked if this was normal whech switching units and I was told it not should not take this long but, this is an issue that has recently been cropping up more often.

Description Status Time Remaining Expiration Date
IronPort Anti-SpamActive25 days13 Nov 12:47 (GMT)
Incoming Mail HandlingActive25 days13 Nov 12:47 (GMT)
Sophos Anti-VirusActive25 days13 Nov 12:47 (GMT)
Bounce VerificationActive30 days17 Nov 18:00 (GMT)

-Chris

Thomas,

So, I'm replying to my own Post now but, I'm curoius.  Where do you stand now? Again, if there are no special config file options or syntax why can't one load a config file onto a previous OS Ver.  ?  Once the new blocker is up and running with the 30 day keys and production config you can then transfer the license then update your firmware.

Jason, if you are seeing this, as of yesterday my registration reports completed and my feature keys have the correct expiration dates.

SR# 615753963

-Chris

Chris, sorry for the delay.  I was told by TAC that I could not do the load the config file because the firmware version was different.  Old, 7.1.2 RMA is 7.0.2.  I tried to upgrade it, and that is where I ran into the issues you mention in your post.  It needs to be registered and licenses transferred.  I guess I am waiting to hear back from the "license guy" over at Small Business TAC to get temp licenses so I can upgrade the firmware, then load the config file.  A pain in the butt so far, and at the end of the day I do not have a high degree of faith that this will resolve my original issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: