That's ok. After I posted I started searching and found some release notes about the newer versions. I realized that most likely you would not be able to load the config on an older version. Too bad you could'nt just get the binary then manually FTP it to the blocker and execute it manually.
So, what was your original problem?
Yep, I asked about that as well. I could putty to the box without issue, so why not just FTP or TFTP up the new firmware. Anyway, I think we got sideways on the license issue. So first I need the licenses and get the unit registered on Cisco.com. Then I can upgrade the firmware, then finally load the config file.
Original issue, we have a 3 year license currently and about a month ago the Sophos stopped updating. It is stuck at Sept 21 and will not update. No errors or anything, just will not update. The fix....RMA. That is why I am not certain this will work.
After reading what your original problem was I can understand how you feel, why would a new unit fix your Sophos update problem?? I'm guessing you did a firmware upgrade on your existing blocker and that did not fix the problem? So basically the thought here is you have some type of module corruption on your production unit causing Sophos not to update and the hopeful solution is a new unit???
Yup, upgraded the production to 7.1.2, but that did not fix the issue. I believe that this is a "when in doubt, replace"
solution that I am being provided at the moment. I will let you know when it doesn't work out.
"I will let you know when it doesn't work out." Oh man, sorry but, that was funny.
So you are waiting for a temporary license so you can upgrade the OS in your new RMA box. If that works, I hope when you transfer your license from the currently running production blocker that your problem wasn't linked to some type of licensing issue and the problem follows.
Please let me know the results!
I am Cisco distributor
My partner has Cisco Spam and virus bloker (BLKR-SVB-100U-1Y)
ontract number: 91188664
On my disti page contract is valid and active
My partner ask me what is next action because signature update is not active
What is next action , activaiting subscription and signature update or proces is automatic
Sorry i was out sick for a little while. Can you give me a call when you are available - if it's dealing with keys and your keys are about to run out then i need to take a look at your system. I would like to have a cases for both. You can ask for me Jason Bryant or if im not available get the next engineer to create you a case and i will look at it soon as possible. 1-866-606-1866