cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 Feedback: Voice security

ADAM CRISP
Level 4
Level 4

We feel this unit is likely to be used with Public Internet based connections and as a result think this unit should support TLS/sRTP between the unit and the SIP service provider.

Are there and plans to support this?

thanks

Adam

7 Replies 7

nalbert
Level 4
Level 4

Adam,

Our understanding is that most of the voice traffic on the internet is not encrypted. Only Military / Govt and some large corporation use encrypted RTP. This would most likely be UC500 feature rather than a UC300 feature.

Encyption will probably add, uneeded complexity to a simple product. Do let us know what you use case is.

Navin Albert

The Payment card Industry - PCI DSS requires data to be encrypted on public networks. I have customers asking for secured voip now for this reason. We offer TLS/sRTP or Ezvpn access, however the latter isn't scalable. One of our customers on the UC320 trial falls into this catagory and otherwise the UC320 is perfect, so my feedback is that this feature would be great if you can squeeze it in. CPU processing could be eased if we ran srtp from the phones..

Adam

crduklimited
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We would desire this functionality, as adam as has stated, for PCI compliance (PCI DSS). Our credit card processor has recently provided us with a whitepaper (http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/documents/pdfs/processing_telephone_payments.pdf, page 5) explicitly referencing Requirement 4 (available from https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/documents.php) which states that we are required to be using strong encryption protocols such as SSL, TLS or IPSEC to provide secure transmission of data over the public network. The requirement then proceeds to give examples of public networks (The Internet, Wireless Technologies, GSM, GPRS).

Therefore at current we have found that the only way to have a PCI compliant VoIP solution is to use a VPN, support for encrypted RTP would make this situation much easier for small businesses.

Thanks

-Rob

If you could squeeze secured VPN into the UC320 that would be great.  Would give a solution to the encrypted voice and possibly also enable the remote teleworker handset VPN feature like there is on the UC500?

Mark

If you do this, please include ezvpn client with agressive re-connects on WAN failure.

cheers

Adam, Rob & Mark,

I will ensure these requests get heard .Thank you.

Navin

Barry Jeung
Level 1
Level 1

Personally, I think for any business that has these concerns, either as requirement for conducting business or peace of mind should be looking at a different product. This is the classic case of 'you get what you pay for' which in this case is a product for the 'S' in the SMB.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: