cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Update on UC500 Support Policy for Our Unified Communications Specialized Partners

Views
Helpful
Comments

Over the past several months, we have significantly enhanced Cisco Configuration Assistant (CCA), a GUI-based configuration tool for the UC500 Series platforms, to enable our partners to successfully configure complex installations.  In August, we introduced a support policy whereby Cisco would support new UC540/UC560 deployments with CCA only. This went into effect on January 3, 2011 with the availability of CCA release 3.0.

The CCA-only policy was developed to ensure consistent and successful deployments, reduce complexity and improve the overall supportability of the platform. In many cases, following the feature reference guide, implementing via CCA and utilizing the Office Manager application will provide the best possible experience for the partner and maximize their profitability.   Office Manager can only be supported in CCA-only deployments, as it requires a well-understood IOS configuration to function correctly.

Since that announcement, many partners with a Unified Communications (UC) Channel Partner Specialization (Express-UC, Advanced-UC or Master-UC) have expressed the preference to deploy UC540/UC560 platforms via IOS CLI.  Our UC Specialized Partners possess strong technical skills which provide them with the capability to successfully deploy the UC540/UC560 platforms using CLI. As a result, the Small Business Support Center will provide UC540/UC560 CLI support to UC Specialized Partners.

We are modifying the support policy to allow UC Specialized Partners to choose CLI as a Cisco supported configuration tool. The Small Business Support Center (SBSC) will provide CLI support to these UC Specialized partners with a valid service contract. For clarity, a Small Business Support Service or Small Business Partner Rapid Response Service contract is required for support independent of whether the partner chooses CCA or CLI for configuration. The supported feature set will be limited to what is published in the Product Data Sheet and SBCS Feature Reference Guide.

It is important to understand that once a partner chooses to use CLI for configuration, CCA may no longer be used. Once configuration changes have been made in CLI, using CCA will lead to system instability which typically results in partner and customer dissatisfaction. Once a configuration has been modified using CLI, SBSC engineers will provide support via CLI-only.

In summary, the following are the supported partner and deployment scenarios:
1.       Configuration via CCA. Support via CCA. Available to all partners. Office Manager is supported.

2.       Initial configuration performed via CCA and completed via CLI. Support via CLI. Available to UC Specialized Partners.  Office Manager is not supported.

3.       Configuration via CLI. Support via CLI. Available to UC Specialized Partners.  Office Manager is not supported.  UC520 support remains unchanged; it is supported by Cisco TAC via a SMARTnet agreement.

The Cisco team is constantly listening to you, our partners, and is committed to your success with the UC500 platform. Thank you for your interest and valuable suggestions!

Mark Monday                                              Sherri Liebo                                             Ved Sharma              

Vice President                                                      Vice President                                                   Director

Small Business Technology Group                      Cisco Services                                                  Technical Services

Comments
glanders
Beginner

From above - The Small Business Support Center (SBSC) will provide CLI support to these UC Specialized partners with a valid service contract - Includes partners who who are members of our Authorized Business Edition program.

chrcoope
Beginner

On the cisco.com website using partner locator advanced search...

Partner Locator-Partner Central - Cisco Systems - Mozilla Firefox_2011-11-01_13-49-47.png

tknapp
Beginner

IS CCME and CUE GUI still support in this scenarios?

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee

Dear Sir;

Yes, for CLI based support. On CCA, the end user GUI offered is Office Manager.

Regards
Alberto

tknapp
Beginner

I need to clarify.  We are a re-seller.  We do not leave CCA tool in hands of users.  The tool is far too complicated for customers.  I am talking about law firms, medical clinics, Mechanic shops etc.   They just want to be able to do minimal maintenance.  When we sell them UC540 and UC560 we give the CCME.Html and CUE.Html to manage the users and voice mail.  These came over from the CME units.  Customer's make changes using those two options. When a customer uses either of those management tools, does it void maintenance on the UC540 or UC560?  If not, what maintenance is a customer entitled to from Cisco.

chrcoope
Beginner

Strictly speaking, yes, that would void warranty.  You should look into our Office Manager software for routine maintenence at cisco.com/go/officemanager

Israel Vargas
Beginner

Hello, anyone can tell me how to connect or integrate a SPA8800 Gateway to a UC540, I set it up as an ATA, but I fail to register with the UC540

cindy toy
Rising star

Israel,

This best place to post your question is to start a discussion in this area: https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/voiceandconferencing/sbcs-uc500

Regards,

Cindy Toy

Cisco Small Business Community Manager

for Cisco Small Business Products

www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport

twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Israel Vargas
Beginner

Ok thanks Cyndi verify that.

johnhsnow
Beginner

I would just like to confirm this document is still current as I have the same concerns from a customer on the support of the CCA when they are using the webgui for backups.

Currently, is officemanager the support software tool for end users if they are not comfortable using the CCA?

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee

Dear John;

The document is still current.

CCA is the partner tool, for end users Office Manager is the one.

If  you are using the webUI for backup only, there should not be any impact  on the configuration. Any support question you have would be handled  via CCA only though.

Regards

Alberto

dwrice000
Beginner

Alberto,

With the retirement of the EUC specialization linked below, does the Express Collaboration Architecture Specialization replace that as far as a partner being able to obtain CLI support for the UC540 and UC560?

Link:  http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/download/announcements/euc_announcement.pdf

Thanks,

Dave

relionllc
Beginner

Can you please clarify, from what I'm reading and being told by Cisco, there's info being omitted here. The UC Express was retired and the ECS specialization came to basically replace that giving us partners even more capability, specifically to sell CME on ISR and even CUCM with BE6K. I just had a case with SBSC for a UC540 and was told I needed ACAS, that ECS wasn't good enough. That's obviously ridiculous, as ECS partners, we're just as able if not more so to work in CLI on a UC540/560 which is just an ISR with CME with a few limitations. I'm sure that's what the intent was, for ECS partners to be able to get that CLI support on CME with SBSC, not just with TAC for the older UC520 boxes, so how do we make sure SBSC knows this so I don't run into more problems? Thanks.

This widget could not be displayed.