cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Nits to Pick

eric.stewart
Level 1
Level 1

I'm still having problems associating with the access point.  This is true whether I choose 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz radio operation and pretty much any security settings other than completely open security.

Other nits pick:

• I think it's dumb that you can't have a space in the SSID name.
  • I think it's dumb that you can't have a space in the passphrase for WPA/2 PSK

In case anybody thinks it's a problem with my wireless NICs, let me just say that I can connect with any security setting I want, including sophisticated certificate-based EAP-TLS WPA2 Enterprise authentication both with my Linksys WAP610N and my Linksys WRT610N.  This is true both for 2.4GHz and 5 GHz radios.

To recap:

Blackberry with 802.11 b/g radio

ThinkPad T400 with Intel 5100 AGBN wireless NIC

HP desktop with HP-branded Broadcom 802.11 b/g NIC

ThinkPad z60t with Intel Centrino

...all work with whatever wireless security I throw at them with everything but the RV220W.  I hope that whatever wireless re-certification that Cisco is planning for this device that it uncovers some issues that are easily resolved.  I'm feeling like a bit of a voice in the wilderness here, because other than Simon and his problem with his Atheros-based cards, I'm the only one having consistent connectivity issues with this device.

13 Replies 13

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

eric.stewart wrote:

I'm feeling like a bit of a voice in the wilderness here, because other than Simon and his problem with his Atheros-based cards, I'm the only one having consistent connectivity issues with this device.

Well eric, some of us dont have an awesome lan setup like you:) I know how you must feel that no one else is experiencing this but our home topologies are somewhat small in comparison to your setup;)

I'm only thinking out loudly but is there any other wireless type devices that are interferring with your connectivity within the house? (phones etc) I guess you have removed any interfering devices out of the equation already though. i know the Wrt610n is working but since the issue is with the rv220w we need to identify if it is is affected by other wifi devices transmitting/broadcasting on the same or similar channels.

I'm also sure that unless there is some wierd FCC/Wifi certification rule that stops a blank space being used in a SSID name thin i am sure Cisco can sort that feature/bug out in a few lines of revamped code

Regards Simon

Yes.  I thought about the wireless interference angle, but I have my 3 wireless devices setup in 3 different non-overlapping channels.  That said, it remains a good idea and I will take your advice.   I will turn off a couple of things and try again.  Incidentally, my WAP610N is literally on a shelf right beside the RV220W and I can connect to it immediately.

I'd meant to mention this when we started testing, but why is "TKIP + AES" part of the same option for WPA-PSK as opposed of being separate from each other in the past (under "Wireless")?

For instance, my Linksys WIP330 IP Phone has never had a problem connecting with WPA-PSK on different wireless devices (CISCO, Linksys, Netgear), but know that TKIP and AES are combined under the WPA-PSK table on the RV220w, my phone won't connect.

Don, is there any way you can have the engineers "separate" TKIP and AES under WPA-PSK?  This is just a hunch, but "maybe" that might be the problem with why I can't associate my ip phone to the access point in that mode (and possibly a future issue if it's not looked at now).  The phone works fine without security (Open), but we all know that's no way to secure your home/business. *heh*

Again, just a thought worth looking into since we're testing... *smile*

Jay

Certified: CCNA (R/S, Security, Voice), CCDA, CCNP (R/S)

>Don, is there any way you can have the engineers "separate" TKIP and AES under WPA-PSK?  This is just a hunch, but "maybe" that might be the problem with why I can't associate my ip phone to the access point in that mode (and possibly a future issue if it's not looked at now).

Jay,

I don't a WIP330 phone but I'd tried w/ my wifi camera which only support *open* and *wpa tkip* only and it seemed to be working fine w/ RV220W. I think TKIP+AES setting means RV220W support both keys (i.e. either or). Do you have another device that you can try w/ WPA+TKIP?

As matter of fact, does anyone else has this same problem as Jay's?

ddiep
Level 4
Level 4

>Other nits pick:

• I think it's dumb that you can't have a space in the SSID name.
  • I think it's dumb that you can't have a space in the passphrase for WPA/2 PSK

Eric,

I'll send your suggestion to the team.

Btw, to recap on your case, please let me know what devices that you still can't connect to RV220W.

Can you connect w/o any encryption, i.e. just *open* system?

Thanks.

The devices that cannot connect are:

ThinkPad T400 notebook with Intel 5100 abgn card

HP Pavilion desktop with HP branded  802.11b/g card

Problem is both with 2.4 GHz and 5GHz radios.

/Eric

Eric,

I just posted another RV220W fw (1.0.0.30) in document tab. This fw supposed to fix various Wifi issues, including Broadcom chipset (equipped in this router) re-certification. Please give it another try and see if it would work for you. Let me know the result.

Thanks.

Thanks Don.  Will give it a whirl and report back.

Hope you enjoyed your Christmas and that your New Year is a happy one.

/Eric

Don,

I'm having the same issue with wireless disconnects as Eric when trying to use my WIP330 IP Phone.  I'm going to be flashing mine shortly because it's annoying that once I switch from the old Linksys WRV54G which the phone connects to followed by no connection once I put the RV220w online.

Jay

Alright,

I've loaded the firmware update and there's no change; my WiP330 still can't connect to the RV220w but it will connect to the WRV54g I installed at this location 5yrs ago.  Additionally, there's still that "3 minute" reboot it goes through.

Don, now that things are getting back to the grind, when is someone going to take a look at the one to one Nat issue?

Thanks.

Jay

Hi Jay,

>I've loaded the firmware update and there's no change; my WiP330 still can't connect to the RV220w but it will connect to the WRV54g I installed at this location 5yrs ago.

Can we try to isolate this problem? If you have time and if possible, please try this:

1. Reset router to factory default.

2. Bring router and WiP330 to isolate area; w/o any WAN connection.

3. Try to connect w/ Wifi *Open* connection from WIP330 to router.

4. If failed, need not to proceed any further.

5. If connection is successful, now try to WPA or whatever wifi encryption you wish to have. Check for result.

6. If it's still ok, enable your WAN connection; check for result.

Please also provide me info of WIP330's wifi chipset.

>Additionally, there's still that "3 minute" reboot it goes through.

Unfortunately yes. I asked but it seemed the design could not improve any faster. However, I think the router is actually rebooted much faster than it indicated. You can tell by checking the end-device dhcp ip address. As soon as end-device obtained IP address and its default gateway, you can access the router.

>Don, now that things are getting back to the grind, when is someone going to take a look at the one to one Nat issue?

This issue is already been raised though it had not been fixed yet. There're many reported problem of Wifi and designers were mostly concentrated fixing Wifi issue lately. Btw, have you try one-to-one NAT w/ only VLAN1 devices? Does it work ok?

Much appreciated.

Don

Jay,

One more thing I forgot to mention: There is report problem of wifi connection w/ WPA. The work-around is to disable "Block Fragmentation" which is enable by default. (goto Firewall>BasicSetting>AttackChecks> uncheck Block Fragment Packets)

Please give it a try.

Eric,

This goes to you too!

Let me know the result.

Thanks.

Hey Don...

I'll have to wait a moment or so before I can disconnect the Wan connection (I've got users on it right now).  I did try unchecking "Block Fragmentation" and it didn't work.  The WIP330 connects fine in "Open" but doesn't connect when you apply WPA encryption.

By the way, here's an old write-up on the WIP330:

http://ipcommunications.tmcnet.com/hot-topics/wireless/articles/1516-linksys-wip330-wireless-g-ip-phone-review.htm

I'll have to check someplace else to see if I can get the chipset info...

Jay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: