cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Analog doorphone with SPA112

azacamis
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Panasonic KX-T776X doorphone which I am trying to get to work with SPA112. I have no issues with the SPA112 generally as I am able to create a working line to make calls with a normal analog phone. The problem with the doorphone is that the moment I wire it up, it straight away go off hook. If I set some auto dial plan, it will dial non stop as it don't go on hook ever.

Appreciate if anyone has any ideas I can explore. I tried adjusting polarity, voltage, CPC etc. Nothing works.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

on/off hook state of analog line is matter of loop impedance (loop is wire + end device connected). According specification:

Off-hook threshold (line seizure): Rdc <  1000 ohm
On-hook threshold (line release):  Rdc > 10000 ohm

1kOhm-10kOhm range is "grey zone" with no state defined - it can be either on or off hook.

It seems your's line impedance is bellow 10 kOhm so SPA112 consider it off-hook. It may be caused either by wire itself (full or even partial shortcut between pair's wires) or by device connected (it's impedance in on-hook state is so low).

Use a multimeter to identify exact cause. Even with no multimeter you can use "divide et impera" approach to test:

1. disconnect wire on Panasonic's end, leave just wire connected to the SPA112. If SPA112 claims off-hook then wire pair is (partially) shorted on the path
  2. bring SPA112 to Panasonic and connect them by short wire together. If SPA112 claims off-hook (see appropriate LED on it) then Panasonic is guilty. It's on-hook impedance is so low and it's incompatible with SPA112.
This post contain information related to other's site thus it may contain information considered Sensitive or Confidential.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

on/off hook state of analog line is matter of loop impedance (loop is wire + end device connected). According specification:

Off-hook threshold (line seizure): Rdc <  1000 ohm
On-hook threshold (line release):  Rdc > 10000 ohm

1kOhm-10kOhm range is "grey zone" with no state defined - it can be either on or off hook.

It seems your's line impedance is bellow 10 kOhm so SPA112 consider it off-hook. It may be caused either by wire itself (full or even partial shortcut between pair's wires) or by device connected (it's impedance in on-hook state is so low).

Use a multimeter to identify exact cause. Even with no multimeter you can use "divide et impera" approach to test:

1. disconnect wire on Panasonic's end, leave just wire connected to the SPA112. If SPA112 claims off-hook then wire pair is (partially) shorted on the path
  2. bring SPA112 to Panasonic and connect them by short wire together. If SPA112 claims off-hook (see appropriate LED on it) then Panasonic is guilty. It's on-hook impedance is so low and it's incompatible with SPA112.
This post contain information related to other's site thus it may contain information considered Sensitive or Confidential.

Thanks Dan. You're right. The door phone's impedance is only 1kOhm. Time to bring out that soldering iron for some experiment.

Good luck. An 1:10 impedance transformer may help, but I'm rather skeptic.