Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA191 & SPA112 provisioning questions re network access

David30
Level 1
Level 1

The ATA191 Provisioning Guide (p.149) defines <Allowed_Remote_IP_Address> as:

Description—Specifies a remote IPv4 address that is allowed access to the web-based configuration utility, when Remote Management is enabled
User Interface—Administration > Management > Web Access Management page,
Allowed Remote IPv4 Address field, unlabeled text box
Valid inputs—IPv4 address, Default—0.0.0.0
Example
<Allowed_Remote_IP_Address>209.165.201.129</Allowed_Remote_IP_Address>

First question:  That seems plain enough, but what is the address shown below from the example on p.173?  Is the final '0' intended to specify an IP4 mask length (e.g. 1.2.3.4/24)?

<Web_Remote_Upgrade>1</Web_Remote_Upgrade>
<Allowed_Remote_IP_Type>1</Allowed_Remote_IP_Type>
<Allowed_Remote_IP_Address>0.0.0.0 0</Allowed_...>

The Provisioning Guide also states that <Web_Remote_Management> enables or disables WAN access to the GUI management utility and <Remote_Web_Utility_Access> specifies the HTTP or HTTPS protocol to be used, which can be one or the other but not either.

However <Web_Utility_Access_HTTP> and <Web_Utility_Access_HTTPS> independently specify whether one or the other, or either, can be used to access the GUI utility from systems on the same LAN port.

Second question:  How does all the above apply to devices (including the ATA191 & SPA112) where all traffic is handled over one LAN port?

Just as a comment, I suggest both the terminology and the descriptions of the functional logic used in the Provisioning Guide should be reviewed.  The distinction between WAN & LAN access is unclear and inconsistent.  Call me a pedant, but I think expressions such as "Web_Remote_Management" "Remote_Web_Utility_Access" "Web_Utility_Access_HTTP" are not precise enough.

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, the issues you are mentioning are not described in documentation in clear. Fortunately, it's easy for you to test it by self ...

May be I will test it as well, but I'm so busy now so it may take a lot of time.

ATA network security is probably implemented using IPtables so I doubt trial & error would be very reliable.  And I'll assume the stray "0" at the end of the IP4 address shown in the MPP Provisioning Guide on page-173 is either a typo or the default is equivalent to a mask of /32:

<Allowed_Remote_IP_Address>0.0.0.0 0</Allowed_Remote_IP_Address>

I noticed another possible typo on page-36 of the MPP Provisioning Guide too.  Should the statement:  "The Profile_Rule provided with the factory default configuration is ata$PSN.cfg, where $PSN represents the product serial number." refer to the product series number, e.g. "191" ?

Thanks for replying.

I doubt trial & error would be very reliable

I consider it rather simple. Just edit the value on UI then check the resulting value shown in dump of configuration.

But I guess it's second value of "range" - e.g. range 192.154.2.2 - 192.154.2.21 will be shown as 192.154.2.2 21

Or it may be mask (e.g. 0.0.0.0 0 is 0.0.0.0/0 which mean ANY). It's what needs to be tested.

where $PSN represents the product serial number." refer to the product series number, e.g. "191" ?

True, as far as I know.