cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA191 dial delay

info69
Level 1
Level 1

Using an ATA 191 for analog-SIP conversion, we have a fax on line 1 and an analog phone on line 2. We experience following problem on line 2 with the analog phone: once the user finishes dialing (a 2 to 10-digits number), it takes 4 to 5 seconds for the number to be forwarded on the SIP-line. I imagine there must be some timer involved (see attached file), but I don't know which one. I suspect it could be SIP T2 or SIP T4 which are set to 4, respectively 5 secs.

Can anybody help ? Is there any character which can alternatively end the wait time, such as # at the end of the digits ?

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's about timeout, but not the SIP T<?> one. Don't change them.

The SIP dials called number all in once. But analog phone sends dialed digits one by one with no end mark. ATA191 needs to wait for complete called number before it can initiate SIP dialing. But unless it know format of numbers dialed, it can't recognize "number is complete". So it uses "timeout approach". If no new digit arrive from analog phone, then the number is considered complete.

If you wish to avoid timeout method (at leas for some number) you need to learn ATA191 to recognize number completed. The name of configuration options "Dial Plan" and you need to configure formats of numbers here. It allow ATA191 to recognize number completed and it will initiate SIP dialing immediately then. 

Thanks for replying

And where can I find instructions as what the digits in the dial plan mean:

(*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

I need to

• Dial 2 digits for internal numbers
  • 10 digits starting with 0 for nat'l numbers
  • 12 to 13 digits starting with 00 for int'l numbers

Cisco ATA 191 and ATA 192 Analog Telephone Adapter Administration Guide for Multiplatform Firmware -> Dial Plan Configuration 

• Dial 2 digits for internal numbers
  • 10 digits starting with 0 for nat'l numbers
  • 12 to 13 digits starting with 00 for int'l numbers

Solution:

([1-9]xS0|0,[1-9]xxxxxxxxS0|00xxxxxxxxxxxxS0|00xxxxxxxxxxxxxS0)

First one covers internal numbers, second one national, third and fourth the internationals.

But I'm sure your description is incomplete, Despite I know no country we are speaking here of, I'm almost sure not all national numbers are nine digits. And I'm definitely sure there are other lengths of international numbers than 12 and 13.

So be careful. You will be unable to dial numbers that fits no Dial plan sequence.

Hello Dan,

Thank you very much for giving me a possible and probable solution. You're perfectly correct, I'll need to covers all possible cases. At least, you gave me the cookbook to do so. I'll keep you posted.