cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Back to Back SPA3102's and Hook Flash

derthdrake
Level 1
Level 1

Okay. I've got 2 SPA's. The "Home" SPA has its FXO port hooked to an analog line from our Toshiba CIX670 phone system (I know this system will do SIP, but it won't let you initiate a conference call from SIP). The "Remote" SPA has a Polycom SoundStation 2W hooked to its FXS port. I'm using the "Internet" port on both SPAs for network access.

So I used the instructions form this link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/legacyfs/online/legacy/2/0/4/83402-spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000.pdf to setup my SPAs. Right now I can make calls with the Remote SPA and recieve calls on the Remote SPA. Hook Flash isn't working completely correctly though. When the SPAs are set to defaults and I pressed Flash, the phone would immediately go busy. Pressing Flash again would get me back to the same call.

So I did some googling and ran across a thread which made some suggestions on settings to change so I changed the following:

Both SPAs: Voice->Regional->Control Timer Values->Hook Flash Timer Min = .5 and Hook Flash Timer Max = .8

Remote SPA: Voice->Line 1->Audio Config->Hook Flash TX Method: AVT

Home SPA: Voice->PSTN Line->FXO Timer Values (Sec)->PSTN Hook Flash Len: .1

I experimented with these values. It appears it doesn't work at all with a PSTN Hook Flash Len of more than .1 . If my Hook Flash Timer Max is less than .7, it will cut off the first caller when I hit Flash.

Now when I try to conference this is what happens: Call the first person. Press Flash, I get a busy signal. Press Flash again, I get a dial tone. Call the next person. Press Flash. Get a busy signal. Press Flash and now the two calls are conferenced.

I tried the Soundstation 2W hooked directly to an analog port on our phone system and it is able to conference without any problems.

I've setup a syslog server and grabbed the logs for both the remote SPA and the home SPA. I've attached them. I made notes to roughly where I'm pressing flash at during the log and the results from pressing it.

I've got a couple of other issues with this, but right now the biggest issue is the hook flash is not working completely correctly (Caller ID doesn't work and I've got an odd dial tone).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

16 Replies 16

posuvaluk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

Hi!

I've found a solution! To correctly transmit Flash signal from phone connected to Line1 (FXS port) of the SPA3102 we need to disable the Supplementary Services that use a Flash to trigger their function. That would include Three Way Conf Serv, Three Way Call Serv, Call Waiting Serv.

Regards!

I had the same issue with a Polycom SoundPoint SE-225 and a Linksys SPA3102. The Flash key did not work and I did not have the Three Way Conference Service, the Three Way Call Service or the Call Waiting Service. As the phone's Flash Timer is set to 600ms I set both the minimum and maximum of the SPA's Hook Flash Timer to .6. I now get a busy signal on the first Flash press and a dial tone on the second. I have no idea why you would want to disable the services on your SPA that you need on your phone, nor how to do it. I do wish to be abler to set the SPA in such a way as to get the dial tone on the first Flash press.

Capture full syslog&debug from the phone. It may (but may not, of course) disclose the matter.

Would you please be so kind as to tell me how to "capture full syslog & debug" from the phone? Thanks.

The page at the above link says:

1. Determine the IP address of your syslog server

c:\ ipconfig /all  [Windows]

As you can see in the attached screen shot there is no syslog server listed in the resulting window.

It assume you are running a syslog server on Windows. If it is your case, then address of syslog server is 192.168.0.2

If you are running a syslog server elsewhere, then the address of syslog server is the address of the computer running the server.

I have never run a syslog server. Can you please recommend one? Thanks.

Sorry, I'm not using Windows, thus no experience with it. The syslog server is standard part of any UNIX-like system.

You may read Using the slogsrv.exe Utility.

There's a syslog server attached here. But it's very old document - I don't know the server will run on current Windows.

Or contact your local network administrator for help.

I wish I could keep up with you. I have installed Kiwi Syslog Server (see http://www.kiwisyslog.com/free-edition.aspx) on my Windows 10 system but have no idea how to use it. I give up. Thanks anyway.

Sorry, I'm unable to help you with Windows 10.

Ask your local IT guru. I'm pretty sure it will be easy task for them.

Groucho43

The Polycom SoundPoint SE-225 is a 2-line analog phone. This thread you have posted in talks about "back to back" SPA3102's which use a voip circuit to extend a phone line between two distant points. Are you trying to send a flash to an outgoing voip line, to a PSTN Line attached to the SPA3102 FXO port, or as discussed in the above thread to a distant "back to back" SPA3102 which then needs to send it to a PSTN line attached to its FXO port? These are separate problems.

If you are trying to send a flash to a pstn line attached to the spa3102's fxo port, are you aware that there is a setting required on the PSTN Line Tab to be able to issue a flash hook to the attached analog line? The setting is: Line 1 Signal Hook Flash To PSTN: disable/double hook flash. When enabled it requires a double flash from the phone attached to the FSX port.

The link that Dan Lukes posted describes how to use a syslog server that can be downloaded from the Cisco web site. This is an old "legacy" syslog server, however it does work and it works on Windows 10 and is free. On the web site link there are two versions of the same program. The program writes a log and stores it in the same directory with the program. When you initially start the program the Windows 10 firewall requires you to acknowledge that you wish the program to run.

I would imagine that your kiwi syslog server will work in a similiar manner.

To capture a syslog from your SPA3102 you configure the server ip address (192.168.0.2) under Debug Server on the SPA3102 System Tab. On the System Tab you set the Debug Level to 3. On the Line 1 Tab you set the Sip Debug Option to FULL. On the PSTN Line Tab you set the Sip Debug Option to FULL. The server program stores a log of the actions inside the SPA. You can post this log as documentation. It would also help to see a copy of your configuration which can be captured by saving the configuration to your Windows hard drive and attaching compressed .zip copy.

As Dan says you need to descibe your problem in detail and include documentation of your configuration and a capture of what is happening when the problem occurs (the syslog file). One way to document your SPA configuration is to save the configuration to your computer's hard drive, make a compressed .zip file of that saved file, and attach it to a post.

Hello Howard,

You are quite right. My issue is quite simple, though: when pressing the Flash key during a call, instead of a dial tone I get a busy signal, and only by pressing Flash again do I get the dial tone. Is the syslog an debug capture really necessary, or is there a simple setting on the SPA3102 that will fix it? Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: