cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with SPA112 and delay when making outgoing calls

khavusr
Level 1
Level 1

Recently installed a SPA112 which so far works fine with exception for some minor issues which I hope to solve. Among other I've noticed that when I place an outgoing call there is a slight delay of 4-5 seconds before I here the ring tone for the call placed. To be mentioned the initial dial tone when open the line before dialing the numbers is directly available.

I'm assuming that's it's the SPA112 which adds this slight delay as I didn't have it with the previously Thomson dsl 78x modem which I used in the past to handle my voip calls.

Open for suggestion for what to look for to minimize the initial pause before a number is dialed.

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your's Thomson modem has been configured correctly, according local requirements. It seems you didn't configured regional settings of your's SPA112 accordingly. Defaults may not be suitable for your particular environment.

Delay you described is matter of Dial Plan. The SPA112 know nothing about the format of phone numbers you are dialing. So it don't know the dialed numbers become completed. There is timeout, so it will start dialing sequence when you don't press digits.

You need to configure Dial Plan according local requirements. In such case the SPA112 will be aware of dialed numbers format, so it can recognize the number is complete. It can start start dialing procedure with no delay then.

Rate useful advices (or mark response as correct if applicable). It will help others to found solutions.

Ok, I guessed that much and currently I'm using;

(*xx|112S0|11xxxxS0|00|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

But, I'll just need to tweak it more or see if I can get hold of the dial plan info from the old dsl modem which I still haven't returned to the ISP.

See The Swedish numbering plan for telephony issued by Swedish Post and Telecom Authority. It may help you to create the Dial Plan suitable for you.

By the way, this document contain Sweeden Tone Characteristics. It has no relationship with your current issue, but it may help you to configure proper regional tones.

Rate useful advices.

According Sök i nummerplaner it seems that Swedish numbering plan is rather complex. For example in NDC=10 range, there are numbers with length 5,7,8,9 digits with no apparent logic.

As SPA112 Dial Plan configuration option have limited length, I'm not sure it's possible to describe Swedish dial plan in full here.

It may be reason why you failed to find the one published anywhere.

So, good luck ...

With 264 different areas codes including various payment numbers and mobile numbers 7[0237]XXXXXXX serier it's a challange. The closest login is that you can bundle and tie together several of the area codes to a specific region; for example 040 (Malmö with surrounding), 046 (Lund with surrounding), 0418 (Landskrona with surrounding), etc could be bundled most likely together per county which would give us twenty-one counties in total which still would generate too ling Dial Dial. And to make things worse most of the counties area number would be 04X - 04XX, 02X - 02XX so in the end it would be 9 different main groups.

What is the max lenght for the Dial Plan in the SPA112?

You may consider to move to other country ;-)

All numbers (with exception of emergency and few well defined service numbers) in Czech Republic are 9 digits long ...

The maximum length of Dial Plan is not mentioned in documentation of SPA112. I assume it will be either 255, 511 or 2047 (the 2047 is the limit on SPA3000). Unfortunately, SPA firmwares are known not to be state-of-the-art of programming. Bounds are often not tested correctly. So oversized input may cause internal overflows causing further problems of unknown kind. So be careful.

Note you need not to describe Swedish dial plan in full. Just describe most called prefixes. Those rare called special numbers may remain in "wait for dialing timeout necessary" group. User not willing to wait may use '#' to commit call with no delay ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: