cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management of SPA302D (DECT handset for SPA232D base station)

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The maintenance of SPA50x, SPA30x, SPA1x2 and other simmilar devices is simple. The appropriate IT department will configure the devices using remote provisioning and disable the acces to critical device's settings to user. The IT department monitor new firmware releases, make decision about it's deployment and deploy them (using SIP NOTIFY or URL method) to devices. No user cooperation required, most maintenace tasks are scheduled to deep night or weekends.

Now, we have first SPA232D base station with SPA302D DECT handset. All I said above apply to base station as well. Unfortunatelly, the handset itself seems not to allow this kind of maintenance.

I'm unable to identify the firmware version of connected handset, so I can't consider the upgrade. Even if I know the FW version, I can't trigger the update remotelly. The only way I know to accomplish such task is - order the end user to do the task. But it's not the end user's job (nor it has skills to do it). End user should not be disturbed by such kind of VoIP network maintenance. It's network administrator job.

Remote upgrade is not the only problem. Some supplemental services like DND, CW, Block CID, Block Anonymous CID calls or forward is driven by PBX here. End device should not try do it by self. So access to appropriate menu is disabled on SPA50x, SPA30x (and so on). It seems not to be possible on SPA302D. Unless it's disabled in menu, we need to expect that some end users will set the handset to state not expected by network causign the malfunction. And if it happen, the problem will not be solvable from remote as it's seems not to be possible to modify (or reset at least) hanset's configuration remotelly. It will hurt user's experience with Cisco products, lack of remote maintenance will increase total cost of ownership.

I'm not wishing it is intentional "feature". If yes, then SPA302D handset is targetted to different market than other SMB products. In advance, SPA302D problems will affect the SPA232D as well, just because the SPA232D is designed to work woth SPA302D only (and vice versa). If someone decide the SPA302D is not suitable for it's network, then he need no SPA232D at all.

Althougth I can't overlook Cisco's implemetation problems with ATA1xx/ATA2xx product line, I considered unlikely that Cisco DESIGNED just two products for just-home-only use. Units with no remote management is not suitable even for small offices (with remote administrator, which is common).

In short, I assume it is my bug - I'm sure I missed an application note, a documentation or something.

I need (all on SPA302D):

1. disable access to menu items that should not be accesible to user (settings related to DND, CW, Block CID, Block Anonymous CID calls or forward)
  2. maintain firmware in SPA302D with no coperation with user holding the handset (e.g. from remote). It include informations about current firmware (I can't decide if upgrade is necesarry without it).

Can you enlight me, please ? URL to appropriate documentation will be welcomed.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Based on information from developpers I will respond to myself.

1. maintain firmware in SPA302D with no coperation with user is on the roadmap but not yet completed
  2. request for configurable access to menu will be taken into consideration in future plans

Note the EOL/EOS has been announced for SPA232D.

I consider it final Cisco's response to all those questions I asked above ...