cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PAP2T REN Limit

Lackaroe
Level 1
Level 1

I have 1 x BT  Dect Telephone: BT4500, 1 x RTT 56 A (1000 Ohm bellset) and a wall mounted Bellset 50E (4000 Ohm) connected to a PAP2T ATA.

As currently configured, I can make and receive VOIP calls. However, If I add an additional Phone: GPO 332 (1000 Ohm) to any of the unused extension sockets the incoming ringing behavior changes. All Phones just ring once, and the Caller is disconnected.

I may have overloaded the circuit, but my expectation was that the bells would ring feebly if the circuit was underpowered...but continue to ring nevertheless. I Understand the PAP2T supports up to 5 REN.

The Ring settings on the PAP2T config menu are set as follows:

Ring waveform: Sinusoid

Voltage : 90V

Frequency 25 Hz

Synchronised Ring: No

CWT Frequency: 440@-10

- Is there some setting I can change in the confirguration menu?

- Will placing a 3.3K Resistor in each of the 2 (Older) phones help by increasing impedance?

- Can I resolve it by purchasing a REN booster?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It seems you even didn't tried to read Users Guide ...

Maximum Ringer Load 3 REN

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Lackaroe wrote:
All Phones just ring once, and the Caller is disconnected.- Is there some setting I can change in the confirguration menu? 

BT4500 have a REN of 1 and GPO 322 have a REN of 4. So REN=3 limit of PAP2T (not 5 as you misclaimed)  is exceeded.

You can add 3.3K in serie with GPO 322 in order to reduce the REN number of the telephone to 1, but it will reduce the strength of the ring significantly. Try 1kOhm register instead. It will reduce REN to 2, so you will fit limit while ring will be a bit stronger.

No resistor is needed for BT4500 - it have REN=1 demand already.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It seems you even didn't tried to read Users Guide ...

Maximum Ringer Load 3 REN

Hope it helps.

Your Solution explains the overload. I have exceed 3 REN ..

although the Manual supplied with my Box states REN at 5

Manual_Linksys_phone_adapter_PAP2T.pdf

While document you referred have PAP2T mentioned in filename, it's content is dedicated to PAP2 not PAP2T.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Lackaroe wrote:
All Phones just ring once, and the Caller is disconnected.- Is there some setting I can change in the confirguration menu? 

BT4500 have a REN of 1 and GPO 322 have a REN of 4. So REN=3 limit of PAP2T (not 5 as you misclaimed)  is exceeded.

You can add 3.3K in serie with GPO 322 in order to reduce the REN number of the telephone to 1, but it will reduce the strength of the ring significantly. Try 1kOhm register instead. It will reduce REN to 2, so you will fit limit while ring will be a bit stronger.

No resistor is needed for BT4500 - it have REN=1 demand already.

Thank you for this useful information.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: