cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Same firmware for PAP2 and PAP2T?

gustavolsson
Level 1
Level 1

From the information I've found scattered around the internet, the PAP2T seem to be a later version of the PAP2 with more memory and the ability to support two concurrent g.729 calls. I have a large number of devices identifying themselves as "Linksys/PAP2-3.1.22(LS)" and a pretty large amount identifying themselves as "Linksys/PAP2T-5.1.3(LS)". We seem to suffer from the bug "Unit stops playing incoming RTP audio once it receives a 180/183 w/o SDP; regardless setting of <Sticky 183> parameter" which is fixed in 5.1.6. I'm therefore looking into upgrading all PAP2 and PAP2T units. The release notes for 5.1.6 lists both PAP2 and PAP2T but doesn't clearly state that they use the same .bin. What is the case here? Same .bin for both models or?

23 Replies 23

Upgrade is required because of security issues or because something doesn't work as expected due firmware bug.

If everything works for you and security is ensured by something else (no rogue users can attach PAP2T in local network) you need no upgrade.

Not 100% sure if security is protected, and I do have issues with remote connections. So I would rather upgrade and be on the last firmware. Does anyone know where the download is located and which one I need for PAP2T?

PAP2T is in End-Of-Support state for long time. Security bugs, even known, are not fixed - latest firmware can't be considered secure. You will need to ensure security in another way even after the update.

Firmware is copyrighted computer program. No one but Cisco can distribute of it. May be, Google may help you to discover an unauthorized source of such firmware.

smal_0009
Level 1
Level 1

I could not upgrade to 5.1.6 from software that I found through google on one of cisco / linksys sites.

i tried to upgrade using the Windows utility - whereby an application launches, obtains the details of the PAP2T, uploads the firmware and then it appears it is waiting for the device to upgrade and then says "failed - upgraded to 3.x.x - the firmware which was already on PAP2T.

the link that you included did not have the firmware.

can you help?

Thanks!!

Hi smal_009,

My bet is that the computer is blocking the upgrade. Chances are it is the Windows firewall, antivirus, or some other utility to keep you safe. You need to answer "Allow" if Windows offers to block for you.

Try another computer, or disable the inhibitors on your computer and reboot.

You can also install a TFTP server on your computer, there are several free TFTP servers for Windows on the Internet, example SolarWinds.

This should help: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-5938

Regards,

Patrick

----------

patrick, the message i get is version not matched.

as if my hardware pap2-na is not compatible with this software.

can you confirm by looking a the hardware profile i posted, two posts earlier. thank you!

i may have start another thread to try to solve my sudden observation of problem with rings on my phone instrument and not getting caller id often!

i have tinkered with voltage levels, and type of ring, and ring frequencies.

Hi smal_0009,

Please try the attached firmware for PAP2 from December 2007.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

i upgraded to this one. this worked.

however my ringing and caller id problems have not gone away :(

i have tried all the online listed answers as to what to do.

Hi smal_0009,

Has anything changed since ringing and caller ID worked?

Please enable debug level 3, make an inbound call and send the log
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9897

Also send the PAP2's configuration:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9904

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: