cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SP122 ATA handsets won't ring on inbound call.

MarkJr
Level 1
Level 1

I've got an SP122 ATA with a cordless handset base station plugged into the line 1 jack. It registers fine and I can make outbound calls from any of the cordless phones.

When I call the line, the cordless handsets don't ring. The other phones around the house (Polycom's each with their own sip subuser) all ring.

I had this sort of working previously, using a Grandstream ATA - where the cordless handsets would ring once a call came in, but then would not ring on subsequent calls.

After trying a pile of different things I thought I'd try a different ATA, hence the SP122.

I saw this:

https://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=a3acfa009afd4893ac1257166e2417d6_Troubleshooting_Phones_connected_to_SPA112_not_ringing_.xml

and tried setting my Ring Voltage to 90 (it was 85) and switched my Ring Waveform from Trapezoidal to Sinosodial but neither has helped.

My setup is:

• home broadband network on Bell Fibe modem in bridge mode,
  • behind that is an Apple Airport which is the main gateway for the rest of the internal network,
  • the SP122 is connected to the Airport.
  • provider is voip.ms

Any ideas appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Either call is not arriving at all (e.g. issue on SIP side) or analog signals provided by SPA122 is not recognized by phone connected. So check line status on Voice/Information page during incoming call. Please disclose the line status you see.

Thanks, looks like the line status is idle while the call is coming in

Line 1 Status
Hook State:     On Registration State:     Registered
Last Registration At:     6/17/2018 10:27:00 Next Registration In:     22 s
Message Waiting:     No Mapped SIP Port:      
Call Back Active:     No    
Last Called Number:       Last Caller Number:      
Call 1 State:     Idle Call 2 State:     Idle
Call 1 Tone:     None Call 2 Tone:     None

Why you thing the call is coming ? Status shown seems to contradict such hypothesis. According the status, there's no incoming call at all. So it look there's and configuration issue, but not with SPA122. If a PBX signals you the target is ringing while call has not reached the target, you should consider PBX misconfiguration - may be call is ringing elsewhere or so.

You can turn on syslog&debug of Voice Application runnign on SPA122 and catch them, but if call is not arriving, there will be nothing to log.

I know nothing about your PBX, so I'm unable to advice next step. You need to check where the call is delivered on. Contact PBX administrator for help ...

Thanks, there is no PBX, it's all coming off of voip provider (voip.ms). The other handsets (polycom's) each have their own sip sub id and they are ringing, and when I switch to the grandstream ATA, it will also ring, for the first call. Then it stops ringing on inbound calls. Sometimes rebooting it works, for the next call, but then it stops again.

You are contradicting self. SPA122 needs to be connected to a PBX and even yours is connected to one - those maintained by voip.ms.

According line status your provided, no call is arriving. Such hypothesis needs to be either verified or disproved. You can turn n syslog7debug messages and capture them, you can capture SIP packets between ATA and PBX or you can ask PBX administrator for help.

As a just blind shot I suspect NAT issues behind, but its just blind shot - you provided nothing that can confirm or disprove it so far.

So sorry, I don't understand what you mean "own sub id" (unless it's just SIP account).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: