Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA 112 forward calls from PSTN to SIP

StanO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to forward calls received from PSTN (condo buzzer system) to SIP. I used to own an older Linksys SPA adapter which has recently died and I can no longer access its settings, nor find the link to the page I used to set things up.

Can someone please guide me (or send a link to a relevant page) thru configuring SPA 112 to forward calls received on PSTN to SIP?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What Linksys SPA model you has ?

SPA112 have two FXS ports - FXS port is port where phone can be connected to. You can't connect PSTN line to it. You need FXO port for the purpose, but SPA112 have no such type of port.

Oh, didn't realize that, thank you so much for your reply. I guess I should get the 3000-series SPA instead? Is there anything else which would have the FXO port like the 3000, but possibly cheaper?

You need a SIP gateway with FXO port. As far as I know, the only device of such kind still manufactured by Cisco is (so expensive for the purpose) SPA8800. You need an old model like SPA3000 or SPA3102. Those are still available (on Aliexpress, for example). Or you can buy a device of different vendor.

But note there is no just single standard analog protocol for POTS (PSTN) lines. Different voltages, impedance, ringing shapes, CallerID protocols (if available at all) ...

You should read line specification (of PSTN in question) and verify its compatible with specification of the device of your choice.