cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112/122 connect multiple phone to one line?

erik175241
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I can’t seem to find any information on whether or not it’s possible to connect a line with multiple phones connected in series or parallell to one port on the SPA112/122.

This would be useful to connect a home phone network with 2-3 phones to a VoIP service. Will it work, or will the current needed to ring the phones burn any components in the SPA?

Bonus question, does it support pulse dial (I’m guessing no)

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
possible to connect a line with multiple phones connected in series

SPA1[12]2 provides POTS analog line (you are wishing to connect standard POTS analog phone to it, isn't it ?). It's responds most of your questions. No, POTS never allowed multiple phones connected in serie ...

or parallell

... POTS line ever allowed connection of multiple phones in parallel as long as off-hook resistance of connected bundle follow SPA112 requirements (Rdc >10000 ohm) and sum of RENs required by connected equipment doesn't exceed maximum REN provided by SPA112 (5 REN).

Of course, your phones needs to be compatible other SPA112/SLIC parameters as well, but it apply to even single phone. See SPA112 specification: Subscriber line interface circuit (SLIC)

does it support pulse dial

This bonus question is only question with no obvious answer. While I have SPA112 as well as old gold phone with rotary dialing mechanism, I have no spare time to arrange test just now. So I'm just guessing - yes, you are true, the answer is "no".

If we both are true, the following may help (I have experience with no following device nor seller):

The thing is though that having two or more phones in a home in not unusual, and the way it usually works here in that they the jacks are connected in parallel (which allows another phone to be unhooked and listen in on a call), or series (which breaks the connection to phones placed after the one unhooked in the series.

What I need to know is if I can replace my external incoming line to the first jack with the SPA Line 1 connection, and have the rest of the phones connected, or if I need to run an additional wire per phone.

or series (which breaks the connection to phones placed after the one unhooked in the series.

I got what you are speaking about (and why you call connection "serial").

Even in this scenario, the phones has been connected in parallel on A & B wire of phone loop. But line wires has been passed thru phone to next phone unless disconnected by cradle switch (while off-hook).

For the purpose of your question, you can consider both cases equivalent.

if I can replace my external incoming line to the first jack with the SPA Line 1 connection, and have the rest of the phones connected, or if I need to run an additional wire per phone.

As I mentioned above, you can consider both cases equivalent. Additional "per phone" wire will change nothing. It will work, or will not work (but for other reason).

Possible reasons for "it doesn't work":

1. if phones are "line powered" then multiple phones in parallel may draw so much current from line; as a result, line will be considered seized (off-hook, busy) all the time - overall loop resistance needs to be higher than 10000ohm for unseized state.

2. any phone may not be satisfied with ringing signal (20-25Hz, trapezoid) thus the particular phone may not ring, even if other phones will ring (or no phone will ring if all phones are affected)

3. requirements of your phones exceeds 5 RENs supplied by SPA112 - some or all phones may not ring reliably or at all, SPA112 SLIC will be overloaded

4. off-hook voltage and current may not be enough for particular line-powered phone (some or all phones may be affected; note - even wiring length and wire diameter affects this) - off-hook current supplied is 18–25 mA, voltage seen by phone depends on both line and phone resistance

5. other reason I didn't remembered now

But to make my answer clear - you need not to run additional wires.

Thank you,

My only concern is to damage the SPA by overloading it. If it has sufficient protection against overload then I'll just try and see if it works.

We do call the passthrough wiring serial in Sweden, although they are not technically connected in series.

Thank you! 🙂

My only concern is to damage the SPA by overloading it

It should not happen. SLIC shall take even shorted line. Of course - no warranty here - you are on your own.

We do call the passthrough wiring serial in Sweden, although they are not technically connected in series.

This kind wiring has not been used in Czech Republic at all, thus I missed the idea for the first time. But once you mentioned the pickup of one phone will disconnect all those behind, I got the idea despite term used. Then I got even why it's called 'serial' by someone ;-)

davidmillsom
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SIP122 with a phone number configured on each port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: